• Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Owner Finance Business Model

Ram Gonzales
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Posted Aug 24 2019, 13:35

I manage a small fund (less than $1M). To date, we've been joint venturing with other investors on flips and subto deals. I am now looking into how we can make owner financing the base of our business. I've been exploring what does a sustainable model for this looks like? ;

Here are some of the models I've considered. I'm not sure how likely some of them are. Has anyone had any long-term success in any of these or other models? Thank you.

Scenario A

1. Purchase the homes, make minor repairs, and sell with owner financing to create the notes. 

2. Sell the notes to note buyers. Rinse and repeat. 

Pros: No long term responsibility for the note. If I know what kind of notes the buyer wants, I can work backward from there in structuring the notes, properties, and buyers.

Cons: Discounts and other criteria from note buyers might make it difficult to find enough good opportunities.

Scenario B

1. Purchase the homes, make minor repairs, and sell with owner financing to create the notes.

2. Borrow against the notes or cashflow through a bank as a portfolio loan, business loan, or business line of credit. Rinse and repeat.

Pros: Repeatable and predictable. We still own the note and cashflow after bank loan is paid off. 

Cons: Finding a bank to do it. Qualification. Limits. Terms.

Scenario C

1. Purchase the homes, make minor repairs, and refinance through traditional lender.

2. After refinancing each property, sell on a note.

Pros: Due on sale. Longer process per house. Will the bank continue to refinance us if they see that past houses have been transferred. 

Loading replies...