Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes

User Stats

Votes
Karen Kilgore
Votes |
Alabama...Tax sale to state, redeemed, will not probated

Karen Kilgore
Posted Jan 26 2020, 11:59

I found a property on the State of Al tax sale site. I inquired for a bid. In the meantime I investigated. The owner died in 2015. He took possession of the home from his dad in 2013 with documented affidavits he was the only heir. The property moved to his name.  In October 2015, owner dies and there is nothing recorded with Jeff Co Probate. Taxes went unpaid in 2018 and it went to tax sale. State of Al picked it up. I have located the son, the only heir. He wants to sell. He went to the county and paid up the monies owed.  It now shows unavailable on state website. We have settled on a price and intend to meet soon. I asked about the property being placed in his name. He said he has a probated will and his attorney says he can sell the property even though he didn’t record the documents at probate. I searched and haven’t located any liens, mortgages, etc., What questions do I ask, proof do I need before we sit down for a cash sale next week? Should I be safe to use the attorney he used for supposedly probating the will? Or, should I get a separate attorney? Thanks for your assistance!

Loading replies...