• Real Estate Broker
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
Tax Deed Quiet Title Questions

William Jenkins
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St. Louis, MO
Posted May 17 2021, 09:47

I am looking for a little advice regarding a tax sale property in Missouri.  I realize any advice given is not to be considered legal advice.  I have this in front of my attorney for review, but I am looking for some additional color on the situation from those that are in the know on this process....

Prior to the financial crisis, I sold a house to an individual.  The buyer obtained a 90% first mortgage and I took back a 10% second.  In the years following the buyer went delinquent on the first mortgage/second mortgage and stopped paying the real estate taxes.  In 2015 I was contacted to participate in a short sale as the second lien holder, but the agent could never get the deal done. 

Fast forward to 2020 and someone purchases the tax deed on the property.  I never receive any redemption notification or other notices regarding the sale of the tax deed.  Last week I was served with a quiet title as I am still showing as a deed of trust on the property.  For some reason the first mortgage is not showing at all on the quiet title suit which is strange (I'm not sure what happened to it....but I appear to be in a first position now??).

What are my options on it?  Any chance of getting some type of payoff to release the lien?  Any chance I could "redeem," payoff the tax deed purchaser and take title to the property? 

Not an expert in tax sales/deeds so any info would be greatly appreciated.  

Loading replies...