Tax Liens and Tax Deeds. Tools and Calendar

54 Replies

Originally posted by @Jessica Howard :

Im new to this.  Is there a particular state that's preferable to purchase deeds in than others? I see that some investors like to drive by the properties while others will purchase online.  

If you can drive by the properties for sure it's a good thing, but it limits your range of bidding, for this reason, I prefer online auctions, I use photo services to have an updated view of the property if I'm really interested in.

Originally posted by @Peter Walther :
Originally posted by @Omar Bortolato:

I’ve been personally investing in tax lien certificates lately.

If you don’t know what tax liens are, basically when a landowner or homeowner fails to pay the taxes on their property, a tax lien certificate is issued by the municipality that reflects the amount owed on the property, plus any interest or penalties due.

These certificates are then auctioned off to the highest bidding investor. Tax liens can be purchased for as little as a few hundred dollars for very small properties.

The problem is that each state and county have its own regulations: they issue sale lists of tax liens certificates throughout the year, and auction dates are also different.

Also, some states hold auctions once a year, some twice a year, some every month..

So, I went on a rabbit hole and compiled a list of the next auction dates:

November: Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, Montana, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Vermont, West Virginia

December: Illinois, Louisiana, Montana, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont

January: Arizona, Louisiana, Montana, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Vermont

I actually have the whole year mapped out with websites where you can get the sale lists. I did it in a Google Spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spread...

Feedback wanted

I hope this research buys me a little goodwill in order to ask you for feedback on my new project.

Since I’ve seen how difficult it is to gather good information on tax liens, I’ve partnered with 2 other lien investors and made a website called FastLien where you can get upcoming sales lists with a click of a button.

If you end up trying the site, please give us some feedback as we are working hard on it!

Thanks,

Omar

Many counties in many states are using Real Auction for the sale of tax liens.  

Online Auction Sites - Realauction.com, LLC

Yes you're right, but it's not the only one, there are other platforms depending of the state and the tax lien type (e.g. redeemable has a specific platform), some county has his own system, finally, the main difficulty is to be updated on all upcoming auctions and retrieve the lists to do the research.

I have invested in tax liens and tax deeds for more than a decade and still do. For tax liens you will have to have a national acquisition strategy, you cannot limit yourself on one or two states. This requires research and time which once I did using excel files and pen and paper. Now I use a more sophisticated tool that provides me all the tax sale lists nation wide and reduces drastically my research time. 
if anyone wants to check it out: www.fastlien.co 

Originally posted by @Shauna Barnes :

@Yi O.

When purchasing tax lien properties (at least in FL), you will need to go through the process of cleaning the title before you get insurance or try to sell it.

Cleaning the title?   what would be like to do so?  is there any one could you hire to take care of it?

I am new to this, i would like to get to know more before take actions. 

Originally posted by @Omar Bortolato :
Originally posted by @Peter Walther:

If you don’t know what tax liens are, basically when a landowner or homeowner fails to pay the taxes on their property, a tax lien certificate is issued by the municipality that reflects the amount owed on the property, plus any interest or penalties due.

These certificates are then auctioned off to the highest bidding investor. Tax liens can be purchased for as little as a few hundred dollars for very small properties.

The problem is that each state and county have its own regulations: they issue sale lists of tax liens certificates throughout the year, and auction dates are also different.

Also, some states hold auctions once a year, some twice a year, some every month..

November: Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, Montana, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Vermont, West Virginia

December: Illinois, Louisiana, Montana, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont

I actually have the whole year mapped out with websites where you can get the sale lists. I did it in a Google Spreadsheet here:

Feedback wanted

I hope this research buys me a little goodwill in order to ask you for feedback on my new project.

Since I’ve seen how difficult it is to gather good information on tax liens, I’ve partnered with 2 other lien investors and made a website called FastLien where you can get upcoming sales lists with a click of a button.

If you end up trying the site, please give us some feedback as we are working hard on it!

Thanks,

Omar

Yes you're right, but it's not the only one, there are other platforms depending of the state and the tax lien type (e.g. redeemable has a specific platform), some county has his own system, finally, the main difficulty is to be updated on all upcoming auctions and retrieve the lists to do the research.

There are no other platforms for the counties appearing on the Realauction web site.  They are the only ones that sell the tax liens for the counties.

Originally posted by @Yi O. :
Originally posted by @Shauna Barnes:

@Yi O.

When purchasing tax lien properties (at least in FL), you will need to go through the process of cleaning the title before you get insurance or try to sell it.

Cleaning the title?   what would be like to do so?  is there any one could you hire to take care of it?

I am new to this, i would like to get to know more before take actions. 

There are many services that do quiet title actions, one of those is Tax Title Service what does it nationwide and specific for tax sale-purchased properties.

Feedback wanted

Thanks,

Omar

There are no other platforms for the counties appearing on the Realauction web site.  They are the only ones that sell the tax liens for the counties.

There are also many other platforms other than Real Auction, some of those are Grand Street Group, SRI, **********, etc.
those platforms manage tax sales auction for different states and counties, so you have to check them out daily or weekly.
with Fastlien you have everything at your fingertips, download tax sale lists, calendar view of all the upcoming auctions, I find it much easier and less time-consuming.

regards

Emanuel Wijkhuisen

Feedback wanted

Thanks,

Omar

Well, it's not true :) what's about lienhub, **********, SRI, Zeusauction ?

Originally posted by @Emanuel Wijkhuisen :

Feedback wanted

Thanks,

Omar

There are also many other platforms other than Real Auction, some of those are Grand Street Group, SRI, **********, etc.
those platforms manage tax sales auction for different states and counties, so you have to check them out daily or weekly.
with Fastlien you have everything at your fingertips, download tax sale lists, calendar view of all the upcoming auctions, I find it much easier and less time-consuming.

regards

Emanuel Wijkhuisen

You are correct, there are web sites for the auction of tax liens other then those on the Realauction site, including Grant Street (not Grand).  However, when I Google Fastlien I go to a page offering the Fastlien.com name for sale.

Feedback wanted

Thanks,

Omar

Well, it's not true :) what's about lienhub, **********, SRI, Zeusauction ?

Once again, there are other sites for other counties, but there are none for the counties appearing on the Realauction web site.

Originally posted by @Emanuel Wijkhuisen:

Feedback wanted

Thanks,

Omar

regards

Emanuel Wijkhuisen

You are correct, there are web sites for the auction of tax liens other then those on the Realauction site, including Grant Street (not Grand).  However, when I Google Fastlien I go to a page offering the Fastlien.com name for sale.

Sorry for the typo :) the address is fastlien.co, not .com. 

Originally posted by @Jessica Howard:

@Omar Bortolato thanks.  What photo services do you use?

It depends on the State and the County, just google "real estate photos with iPhone" and you can find a bunch of services.

Do you have any that you have used in Davidson County, TN or Marion County, IN - I tried googling (albeit shortly) and nothing immediately popped up. I would be curious to look into these services. 

Feedback wanted

Thanks,

Omar

Correction: Alabama hold online auctions in various counties  

Originally posted by @Yi O.:

3)  I was talking about the tax deed sales.   and it seemed a lot insurance companies won't offer service for that deed.

You simply have to quiet title that can be done with a lawyer or specialized services.

Not so "simple" but once you quiet title, it gives you legal, recorded ownership of the property. You can then keep it or sell it. HOWEVER, if you want to sell it to someone who is getting financing from a bank, they will be required to get title insurance.   This is the hardest part of tax sales, getting title insurance making it easy to sell.  If you can't get title insurance on a property that you quieted title on, then you will have to keep it for yourself or try to find someone with cash that will buy it as is, without title insurance (which is hard to find). 

Feedback...   You would really need to map out each county in each state.  In Louisiana the tax sales are typically held in May, June, July (not December).  It depends on the parish (county). I believe Orleans Parish does it twice a year and one of those times may be in December, I am not 100% sure. 

If you want to map it all out,  do it for each county in each state with the date and how the auction is conducted (online or in person.)

All of this is nice for informational purposes but if you want to invest in tax sales there is no need to go to multiple states, unless you have millions of dollars to spend. The hardest part is understanding the laws in each state and making sure you comply to them. Even the bidding process is drastically different from state to state. I would start with your home state or the one that is closest to you if you do not live in a tax lien state. Learn everything you can about the entire process, laws etc and become a master of that state, pick out the different counties you want to invest in and spend all of your money there. 

Originally posted by @Yi O. :

I am new to tax lien properties.  Can someone provide your thoughts on the following questions, please?  I would deeply appreciate your help.

1. Are you all hiring a court runner or lawyer to research the properties in order to make sure Tax lien is the only lien against it?   or you all don't think it is necessary?

2. The properties are not available to see prior to the auction,  how are you determine that is manageable?

3.  I read it somewhere,  you don't have the title after winning the bid.  It will take up to 15 years to get it legitimized with the title?

Thanks

1. You will need to learn how to do this yourself. Most locations you have to pay to get online access to all of the property records or you can go to the court house to access them in person for free. If you hire someone to title search every property you are interested in, it will cost you a fortune. You might research 100 properties but only end up getting a few at the tax sale.

2. The list of properties will be listed in the week(s) prior to the tax sale. if you are asking if you can see the inside of the property, then you are correct, you can not.  However, since you are just purchasing the tax certificate you will have to wait xxx years before you can quiet title and take ownership. The structure could be damaged or even destroyed during that time. So even if you could see the inside of the property before tax sale, a lot can happen to it before you can actually take ownership of it.

3. The number of years you have to wait (called the redemption period) varies from state to state. I believe most states the redemption period is between 3-5 years.

Personally I don't see a service like this being necessary. I am assuming there will be a fee to access the information. Anyone that is new to tax sales doesn't need to know the list of properties for every state etc. Unless if they are a hedge fund that spends millions of dollars a year (in which case they have their own systems, staff, etc.) the average person who spends XXX to XXXXXX can easily spend that much money by attending tax sales in one state, typically their home state. I spend on average 50 - 100K each year at the tax sales here and I am able to do it from attending two different tax sales.  Each state is so different when it comes to the laws and even the bidding process. Become a master of your state. Each state will have several counties and different tax sales where you could spend millions if you wanted to.  If you have a budget of 100K a year to spend why spend 10K in Alabama, 10K in Louisiana, 10K in Colorado, etc... You will have to spend countless hours trying to learn the laws and regulations of each state and you will never be great at any of them. Why bang your head against the wall and do this the hard way, do it the smart way.

All you need to do is:

1. Make a couple phone calls to get the date and location of the tax sale for the counties you are interested in (nearest to you).

2. Locate where the properties are advertised (usually on their website & in news paper).

3. Pay for online access to the property records for that county so you can do research.

4. Drive by the properties you are interested in to see the condition of the land/building and neighborhood.

5. EDUCATE YOURSELF AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE on the laws that govern tax sales and what you are required to do. I strongly recommend consulting with an attorney knowledgeable in this field until you have a good understanding how everything works.

6. Attend the auction and bid. 

I have invested in tax liens and tax deeds for more than a decade and still do. For tax liens you will have to have a national acquisition strategy, you cannot limit yourself on one or two states. This requires research and time which once I did using excel files and pen and paper. Now I use a more sophisticated tool that provides me all the tax sale lists nation wide and reduces drastically my research time. 

I am guessing you are one of the other partners ?

Sorry guys, this is coming across very spammy.  Two new posters here and the first thing you trying to do is to promote your $39 a month software?

"you will have to have a national strategy for tax lines"   NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!   and HELL NO!    That is the worst advice that could be given, which coincidentally only someone who believes that would find value in your software.    You software saves time if I wanted to bid on thousands of properties from hundreds of different counties across several different states. (saves me the time from using google and making some phone calls). But why in the hell would someone want to spread their money out over so many different places? That would be a terrible strategy.  

The time consuming part is not finding out the date of the auction or getting a list of the properties, the time consuming part is scouting the properties and doing the title search work.   /rant

Originally posted by @Will Sifert :

Sorry guys, this is coming across very spammy.  Two new posters here and the first thing you trying to do is to promote your $39 a month software?

"you will have to have a national strategy for tax lines"   NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!   and HELL NO!    That is the worst advice that could be given, which coincidentally only someone who believes that would find value in your software.    You software saves time if I wanted to bid on thousands of properties from hundreds of different counties across several different states. (saves me the time from using google and making some phone calls). But why in the hell would someone want to spread their money out over so many different places? That would be a terrible strategy.  

The time consuming part is not finding out the date of the auction or getting a list of the properties, the time consuming part is scouting the properties and doing the title search work.   /rant

@Will Sifert No need to aggressive and put exclamative point all over the place. If you do not agree with a strategy just write it politely.  said that you are suggesting that, if someone lives in Alabama and want to invest in tax liens, he should have to invest only in Alabama locking himself with a maximum of 12% interest, and not taking advantage of investing maybe in the state of Florida or New Jersey which have a maximum interest rate of 18%. Also, those states have online auctions which make it way easier and cost-effective to attend auctions. Not saying that this is the best strategy but it has worked for me for more than a decade getting an average of 14/16% interest on my overall tax lien portfolio. What are your strategies and your results? I'm always open to listen and learn. Btw, I'm not here to spam any software only helping someone searching for a better and faster way to do research.

Originally posted by @Will Sifert:

@Will Sifert No need to aggressive and put exclamative point all over the place. If you do not agree with a strategy just write it politely.  said that you are suggesting that, if someone lives in Alabama and want to invest in tax liens, he should have to invest only in Alabama locking himself with a maximum of 12% interest, and not taking advantage of investing maybe in the state of Florida or New Jersey which have a maximum interest rate of 18%. Also, those states have online auctions which make it way easier and cost-effective to attend auctions. Not saying that this is the best strategy but it has worked for me for more than a decade getting an average of 14/16% interest on my overall tax lien portfolio. What are your strategies and your results? I'm always open to listen and learn. Btw, I'm not here to spam any software only helping someone searching for a better and faster way to do research.

Your partner asked for feedback, I responded with some. I also responded to a few other people who asked questions... 

I never said that a person should only invest in tax sales where they live. If they find another state is more lucrative then by all means invest in that state. It is 100x easier if you are investing in your own state though, and a little smaller rate of return might be worth the convenience. (For example your partner has to pay someone to drive to take pictures of the property. If you lived near by you could save that money and easily view every property before bidding on it.)

What I have said, is that there is no reason someone should be trying to spread their money across several different states. You made the suggestion that "  For tax liens you will have to have a national acquisition strategy, you cannot limit yourself on one or two states. " I couldn't disagree more with that.  WHY ??  If you are getting a 18% interest rate in New Jersey then why invest in other states with a lower return?? Each state has several counties and each county has a tax sale at least once a year. There are tens of thousands of tax sale auctions in any particular state. For tax sale buyers there never is a problem, " I can't find enough tax sales so I need a list of every one in every state so I can buy more". The problem for 99.99% of the tax sale buyers is that they have a budget and can only spend a certain amount of money... which can easily be accomplished from just a small number of tax sales in their state of choice.

What you fail to mention is the complexity of the laws from state to state. Each state is very different and the laws are being revised on a pretty regular basis. I have been buying at tax sales in Louisiana since 2009. The laws have been revised at least 3 times. Even after 12 years I am still learning and figuring out how to comply with all of the statutes for my state. I have paid a lot of money for consultations with attorneys over the years and have lost money from making mistakes by not complying and keeping up with changes. If I invested in other states I would need to not only spend hours and hours to try to figure out their laws and statutes but I would also need to build a network in each state like I have here. I would need an attorney for that state, I would need a real estate agent who can send me comps and help me understand certain neighborhoods, I would need someone to drive by the properties for me, etc etc..... WHY ???  If I can easily spend all of my money at a couple different tax sales in one state why not do that vs buying a few properties from several different states?

I have done really well from investing in tax sales. If you really want to know you can read some of my blog posts.

My tone is because you guys are only posting here because you are trying to promote your software. If you really wanted to help people you would have been involved in other posts with advice. Both of you are first time posters here and your only posts are to try to promote your software, it is pretty transparent.

@Will Sifert  thank you for your reply, it is funny that you do not ever mention Redemption and penalty.
Those are valid reasons to spread on different states, I'm not saying that someone should invest in all 29 tax liens states, but at least 3/5 WHY? because if In New Jersey I can get 18% interest rates the redemption period is 2 years which for someone could be a long time their money is locked. Tax lien per definition is not a liquid type of investment vehicle so that has to be put into consideration when defining your strategy. I could for example invest 20% of my budget in New Jersey and 20% in Indiana regular tax sale which has a lower interest rate of 15% but has a 1 year redemption period, and 30% in Indiana commissioners sales certificates which have only 4 months redemption period and 10% interest. 

In most cases investing out of state is not more expensive or inconvenient, you just have to know which online services. For example, I can get up-to-date pictures of a property (with time stamp on it) for as low as 10$ in 24 hours, most of the time it is more expensive to grab your car and go there in person if you also count your time invested. there is a great book called "long-distance real estate investing" by David Green (you can find it in BP book store or on Amazon) which goes over a lot of those services and find solutions to long distancing investing. With tax liens, this is much easier to do than with Real Estate.

Another advantage of investing in different states is that you will lower your overall tax lien portfolio risk. If a law may change (as you mentioned) and you're fully invested in that state, that could affect your overall portfolio return

I don't want to sound like my strategy is better than yours, absolutely not, you trough out some good points and I respect that.
I started in 2010 so have some experience too, I have invested in more than 15 states and know almost all the rules and regulation on those states, but I'm always willing to learn more and keep studying every day. 

That said, yes, I'm new to Bigger Pockets, am I promoting my software? NO, I have mentioned it as a good tool for tax lien and tax deed investors to use, and If I have infringed any forum BP regulation they can absolutely remove it.

Emanuel