Tax Deed in Mobile, Alabama

6 Replies

Hello. I’ve purchased several tax deeds in Mobile, Alabama which 95% of them have been land. It’s one particular property (house) that I’m very much interested in and I just applied for the deed ( 7/23/21). The property appears to be vacant and abandoned and this has been this way I assumed for several years and most definitely the last 6 months.

My question is should I try and get in touch with the owner once I receive the deed and try to do a QC, Ejectment or should I let a sleeping dog lie. @Denise Evans I would love your input on this as well please.

Thanks 

@Ahmad Moore , I'd track down the former owner or heirs just to figure out what is going on in their lives and whether they would be likely to sign off on a quitclaim deed for very little money.  If you decide to file an ejectment you'll need to know where they are so you can serve lawsuit papers on them. If you can find all owners and know where to serve lawsuit papers on them, you can do the quick, easy, and cheap in personam quiet title lawsuit, which is good.  Don't do anything for about six months after you get your deed. If you decide to sue for ejectment, you can also sue for the reasonable rental value of the property as damages, so that works out for you tactically.  Right now, gather all the information you can. Then reach out to me.

This is just general advice to everybody who has ever been involved in sports.  You know how important it was to know the other team.  Maybe you watched game tapes. Maybe you listened to your coach who made notes of games or team competitions.  Whatever, you needed as much information about the other side as you could get so you could design a strategy and so you would know what was likely to happen if something unusual came up.

Tax sale investing is the same way. The former owner, or the heirs, are the other side. Learn as much as possible about them, THEN strategize.

Originally posted by @Denise Evans :

This is just general advice to everybody who has ever been involved in sports.  You know how important it was to know the other team.  Maybe you watched game tapes. Maybe you listened to your coach who made notes of games or team competitions.  Whatever, you needed as much information about the other side as you could get so you could design a strategy and so you would know what was likely to happen if something unusual came up.

Tax sale investing is the same way. The former owner, or the heirs, are the other side. Learn as much as possible about them, THEN strategize.

I agree, I not only research who has an interest in the property, current address for them but then I go to to social media and try to find them. I usually can find them on Facebook and get to see what their situation is. You can also some times  find information about them from googling them and I also run their names through the Secretary of State’s website to see if they own any businesses. Also search their full name with “obituary” behind it as well.  Pretty interesting what you find. Sometimes it’s more than I wanted to know lol.