Live in Minneapolis, invest in Rochester?

Live in Minneapolis, invest in Rochester?

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 19 votes

Anyone here live in Minneapolis/St. Paul area and invest in Rochester B&H (specifically multifamily)? I'm considering Rochester real estate for my next deal, and I wanted to get experienced investors thoughts on the following:

  • How do you think about property management? Do you treat it like it's a 100% remote market or are you still checking on the property in person a few times a year?
  • How competitive is Rochester's market vs. the Twin Cities' market?
  • Any neighborhoods to avoid?
  • What kind of vacancy rates and property management fees should one expect?
0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Rochester, MN · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 23 votes
9y

Hello from Rochester!

I can answer a few of your questions. Multifamily have been quite difficult to get ones hands on over the past year+. They just aren't getting listed and there's a lot of interest. A quick look at the MLS and there's 4.

We have a number of great property management companies in the area.  I would interview them once you have a property under contract on a particular property as the rates vary and a number of them have minimums that make for a high percent if you get a property with an efficiency, for example.  I've seen 7-10% fees.

Vacancy rates will be location specific. There have been a tremendous amount of new apartment buildings being built. 

I would be happy to chat further about specific properties!

Melissa

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    Following this thread. I invest in Omaha as I used to live there and still have family close by in Iowa. I still check in on the place from time to time. I am a big proponent of property management as I think it will eventually be required if you plan to scale your business large enough. 

    I really like the idea of investing in Rochester for multiple reasons. 

  • Investor · Weston, WI · Member since 2016 · 105 posts · 114 votes
    9y
    I am excited to see the responses, great questions! With the amount of capital flowing into Rochester in the near future I would love to be able to participate in the growth.
  • Real Estate Agent · Rochester, MN · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    Hello from Rochester!

    I can answer a few of your questions. Multifamily have been quite difficult to get ones hands on over the past year+. They just aren't getting listed and there's a lot of interest. A quick look at the MLS and there's 4.

    We have a number of great property management companies in the area.  I would interview them once you have a property under contract on a particular property as the rates vary and a number of them have minimums that make for a high percent if you get a property with an efficiency, for example.  I've seen 7-10% fees.

    Vacancy rates will be location specific. There have been a tremendous amount of new apartment buildings being built. 

    I would be happy to chat further about specific properties!

    Melissa

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.