Turnkey in Kansas City, MO 64128

10 Replies | Kansas City, Missouri

Hello all,

I am working with a turnkey company to obtain my first rental property in Kansas City, MO.  It is in the Ingleside neighborhood, in the 64128 zip code.  I have read good things about the Kansas City market but am a bit concerned with the crime in the area.  Does anybody have any further insights on the area?  Does anybody have any zipcode maps with areas to avoid?  Any other due diligence I should be doing?  This is my first rental property and I'm a bit nervous with making the wrong move.  This is my first post after reading through the forums for some time now.  Thank you all, much love to the community!

Hire your own property inspector, do not use one provided by the seller.  I know a guy there who is very thorough.  Did you take a trip out there to see the areas?  You should. 

Updated about 2 years ago

That area is pretty rough, I'd stay away from it unless I was very familiar with the area, and knew the street that the house is on. If you've never been there, and don't have someone on the ground you can trust (not the seller) I wouldn't do it.

Updated about 2 years ago

Go to Trulia.com, enter the address, they have a crime map

Thanks for your reply and advice Tim.  Looks like it’s back to the drawing board in looking for a suitable property.  I’m still interested in the Kansas City market though.  Could you please refer me to your property inspector for future reference?  I’ll have to make time to visit as well.  I appreciate you very much!

Originally posted by @Tim S. :

Hire your own property inspector, do not use one provided by the seller.  I know a guy there who is very thorough.  Did you take a trip out there to see the areas?  You should. 

@Marcus Paras I think it's all dependent on your comfort level. I have friends that have SFR in the urban core, but they can drive to go check on them as well. If it is your first real estate purchase, especially being out of state - you really need to be able to trust your team.

What's the rent?

@Logan Freeman Yes you're right. I do not have an established team yet so I think this may be a little out of my risk tolerance at this point of my investing career.  I may need to look in better neighborhoods for an initial property.  and I was looking at $850/mo rent!  

@Ryan Fox Thank you Ryan!! This is actually the type of information I was looking for.  Thank you for linking that.  Thanks so much

I wouldn't invest there unless you have very good knowledge of the area.  There are plenty of other areas in KC to look (see Ryan's link), though deals are much harder to find. Not much meat left on the bone for turnkeys in the better investment locations in KC at this time.

@Marcus Paras my thought is work with a team that will tell you if it's a higher risk area. Then it's up to you to decide if that fits within your goals! I've got friends that invest high risk on a regular basis because the cash flow is great. 

Honestly higher risk doesn't always mean a bad deal. If you've got a property manager who is comfortable leasing and managing there that checks on the property for you and makes sure it's not being destroyed, what more is there worry about if the numbers are right? Maybe a break in when it's vacant? If your cash flow outweighs some higher maintenance, that's not an insane strategy! 

@Marcus Paras

This is usually on my “avoid” zip list but I think looking at the specific area, down to the block, is really important. Having someone you trust give you an opinion is also really important. For your first one fly out and do your own due diligence!

Speaking as a leader of the local real estate investor association I have had many calls from out of state investors who got a really good deal on a turn key property in areas like 64128 - this is urban core and while there are a few good pockets, for the most part, this is a high crime, high management area.

1.  If the tenant moves, abandons your property, gets evicted either they or someone else will quite often rip and strip, leaving you an unrentable house that needs $10k to $20 k to get it re rented - I usually get the calls from the owner the 2nd and 3rd time this happens.  (This is where all the foreclosures came from a few years back)

2.  If you become dissatisfied with your turn key property managers seller, and seek a new manager, it is really tough to find someone who will manage in those areas and when you do, you will have complaints that the manager is taking too long to get it rented - good tenants who pay their rent is tough in those areas too - so its not very profitable for the property manager.

While it can be profitable to own and rent in the kc urban core, you need to be hands on managing, those who make money go knock on the door and collect rent, often in weekly installments.

And keep in mind that KCTenant the local tenant advicacy group, has a great ally in the newly elected Mayor of KC.  These advocacy issues become less of an issue in a bit better negibhrohood that has higher prices, less crime, better schools and grocery stores.

Originally posted by @Kim Tucker : Completely agree!  

Speaking as a leader of the local real estate investor association I have had many calls from out of state investors who got a really good deal on a turn key property in areas like 64128 - this is urban core and while there are a few good pockets, for the most part, this is a high crime, high management area.

1.  If the tenant moves, abandons your property, gets evicted either they or someone else will quite often rip and strip, leaving you an unrentable house that needs $10k to $20 k to get it re rented - I usually get the calls from the owner the 2nd and 3rd time this happens.  (This is where all the foreclosures came from a few years back)

2.  If you become dissatisfied with your turn key property managers seller, and seek a new manager, it is really tough to find someone who will manage in those areas and when you do, you will have complaints that the manager is taking too long to get it rented - good tenants who pay their rent is tough in those areas too - so its not very profitable for the property manager.

While it can be profitable to own and rent in the kc urban core, you need to be hands on managing, those who make money go knock on the door and collect rent, often in weekly installments.

And keep in mind that KCTenant the local tenant advicacy group, has a great ally in the newly elected Mayor of KC.  These advocacy issues become less of an issue in a bit better negibhrohood that has higher prices, less crime, better schools and grocery stores.