Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Charlotte Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Austin Lynk
  • New to Real Estate
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Diving In Head First - How does my plan sound?

Austin Lynk
  • New to Real Estate
  • Charlotte, NC
Posted Jan 25 2021, 14:36

Hey all - I'm starting my trek into REI! I've been listening, reading and brainstorming, and have a few ideas to get started. I wanted to validate some of my thoughts, gather feedback, and potentially make some mutually beneficial connections. I'm not listing every detail of the plan here - mostly just the high level to make sure I'm not marching in the wrong direction. I genuinely appreciate any thoughts, feedback and guidance, and look forward to giving back to the forums as I continue my journey.

My situation: 26, considering Charlotte, NC and surrounding markets, no debt, moderate savings, high credit score

Short-term Goal: Secure somewhere to live, gain 5-8 doors in 2021 and generate around $600+/month cash flow, and not completely deplete my savings in down payments + reno.

Vehicle: 1 owner-occupied single or multi-family, 1 non-owner-occupied multi-family

The Plan:

1 owner-occupied single or multi-family

Well, I need somewhere to live. The reason I haven't designated single or multi-family is due to the area I'd like to live in Charlotte and it's unlikely I will be able to find a multi-family in my price range. If I can, the plan would be to take a 5% conventional owner-occupied loan for the multi-family, house-hack by living in a unit and renting out the rest and maybe polish up the cosmetics (not spend much, since I won't be getting it back except through a potential minor rent increase). After 1 year (the required period for the loan), I'd move out and rent that unit). If I can't find a multi-family, the plan would essentially be the same, except I wouldn't be collecting rent during the 1 year I was living in since in a SFH. Quality of life and living quarters is important to me and my girlfriend, so we're willing to make this sacrifice even if it slows things down a bit.

1 non-owner-occupied multi-family

This will be a pure investment property. I'm currently generating leads, but depending on the deal I find, this could either be a BRRRR or something closer to turnkey (I don't mind making minor/cosmetic improvements, getting new tenants, etc.). On the BRRRR side, I'd secure money from a HML or family (unless anyone has a better idea), and engage a long term lender beforehand to ensure the refi will be good to go. I realize a lot needs to go well for this to work - but I'm interviewing agents and lenders, engaging with a trusted GC, and practicing deal analysis and reno estimated to give myself the best chance. If I determine I want to hold off on the HML and find a property that doesn't need much work, but will cashflow (trying some direct mail, craigslist for rent calls, MLS searches, etc.), I'd likely take the smallest down payment loan I can find with good terms (is this 20%?), make some minor improvements if I think I can raise the rent, and begin the fun of landlording (and save the BRRRR for another day).

Questions:

• Is there a benefit to completing one purchase before the other? Maybe the owner-occupied first with 5% down so that D-T-I will look better for qualifying for the multi-family?
  • I'd be good for a 5% conventional, owner-occupied loan for a multi-family (let's say quadplex) if found one in my range, right?
  • Any Charlotte specific knowledge out there that may help guide me?
  • I'm currently working with a few lead gen companies that are advertising off-market properties, has anyone explore these as leads before?

Any other thoughts, feedback or "You are crazy!" certainly welcome!

Thanks in advance, Austin.

Loading replies...