Google keywords for property management companies.

9 Replies | Charlotte, North Carolina

Greetings fellow BP members.  I'm running a new Google Adwords campaign, and wanted some advice.  I feel that since I've been in the business for so long, I assume most non investors are familiar with the terminology.  I'm trying a new strategy with this campaign, and would like some feedback, primarily from those beginner investors and Landlords.  Frankly, about the only search phrases I come up with are similar to Charlotte property management companies, best Charlotte property management companies, Residential management in Charlotte, etc. 

Could you please provide me with some examples of what you search for on Google when looking for a management company to manage your property?  I need to be very specific in the search phrase so that I don't get charged an arm and  a leg for people searching for managers in New York, or someone looking for management software.  I feel like I'm missing out on some popular search phrases that would be beneficial.  Google and other sites have keyword generators or suggestions, but I just can't find what I feel I'm missing.  Thanks in advance.  

Steve Maginnis

Hi @Steve Maginnis ,

Obviously, you're having trouble with keyword research. There's a couple of things I feel as though your looking at it the wrong way and executing wrong. Your target from what I can tell is you are running a campaign for property management in Charlotte NC.

Now firstly I don’t know your understanding of match types but I’m guessing you're going to try to use phrase match with these keywords. Which would be not really good. Those phrases you have I can almost guarantee will only generate about 4-5 clicks if you're lucky. Now if that fits your budget then go right an ahead, but I don’t think that's you. Second I think you're going a little too specific and you're going to be disappointed by the results. See the intent of the keyword is what is determined to be a conversion. See my article I wrote on my BP blog here for more insight. You retargeting the most expensive keywords already. Yes, you want to target the cheapest keywords possible, but you don’t know all the keywords possible. Bad traffic is enviable during the beginning stages.

Some tips I suggest are, instead of qualifying location through keyword, qualify the location through campaign location targeting (people in or show interest in). This will enable you to increase volume. Use the keyword planner, it will help you find keywords you're looking for. Plz Plz Plz have a good landing page. It is the #1 reason most these investors are failing. You can drive all the high-quality traffic you want, but if it doesn’t convert it's a huge waste.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Hello @Angel-Ty L.   I appreciate the information.  However, I've been working Google Adwords for about a dozen years (although I'm pretty rusty right now) and have a good grasp of how it works.  The purpose of my post was to get some feedback regarding helpful keyword phrases.  I've worked many campaigns over the years and have tried to increase the efficiency of my ads, so I don't pay a lot for unwanted traffic.  I'm not looking to pay for increased web traffic at this time.  I feel that will come.  I want to pay for future customers.  For example, my previous campaign was considered to be successful.  It had a click through rate of 2.4%.  I was informed that the industry average was between 2 and 4%.  However, with my new campaign, which uses exact match keyword phrases, the click through rate has been over 9%.  Granted I have fewer impressions, but more clicks per impression. The amount of customer calls has tripled.  I think I'm on the right track to meet my personal Adword goals.  

If you happen to have any input on other keyword phrases, I would welcome the input.  I'm not aware of what people who have not been in the business for a couple decades search for when shopping for a management company in my area, aside from those phrases mentioned in my initial post.  Thanks again.  

Hi @Steve Maginnis ,

Have you thought about a competitor campaign?  Instead of targeting keywords like "Property Management Company", try targeting the names of your larger competitors in the area who have higher advertising budgets. There is far less competition for their branded keywords, and you can get low funnel visitors at a fraction of the cost.   

I would use competitive ad copy and drive traffic to a landing page that features your main selling points front and center, with call now and contact us buttons below. Not sure how large your budget is, but it could be worth picking 5-10 competitors each with their own ad group and trying this out with a $100/mo budget to see what kind of results you generate. If you link your AdWords account to your Analytics you can see how each competitor's traffic performs and make adjustments from there. 

Personally, I haven't ran this type of campaign for the Property Management industry, however, I have seen great results in Automotive and Real Estate. 

Let me know what you think!

-John

Hey @John Powers , I like your thinking. My initial thought is that someone searching for a particular company is doing so for a reason. Maybe they already have an account and are just looking to find the phone number or address? I figured someone looking for a management company to hire would search generic phrases, no? Maybe those looking for that company and are already customers will see my ad reflecting management fees of 4% and it will peak their interest.

I am definitely intrigued by the approach, and would certainly run an additional campaign to try it.  Could you add some additional insight to address my above concerns?  How has it helped in say, the Real Estate industry?  I want clicks, not just impressions. Thanks a lot for the feedback.  

@Steve Maginnis   Landlords will most likely begin their search with queries such as "Property management companies Charlotte NC", or "Best Property management companies near me" so its always a good idea to have a presence there. However, since those are expensive/competitive keywords, you can piggyback of your competitor's other advertising efforts and try to intercept those higher funnel shoppers who haven't yet made a decision. Users searching for your competitor either already have an account with them, or they are conducting research, and comparing pricing/services between property management companies they are considering. You're right, you'll always get at least a small portion of users who click through to your ad on accident without reading the ad copy. However, it's a great opportunity to get in front of those customers who shopping around and comparing pricing and services.

If you include your 4% management fee in the headline of your ads, you will definitely catch the attention of the in-market landlords who are shopping around for property managers. It will come down to your ad copy and spend time building a quality landing page since that will be the largest factor in their decision (let me know if you want some help there). 

This works great for Automotive since customers are always looking for a better price. I've seen CTRs nearly triple after updating ad copy with headlines such as "Looking For A Lower Price? - Best Price Guaranteed", and these customers are converting on-site. With the Real Estate account, we generated phone calls and website visits, but it's was difficult for us to track on-site conversions since we didn't have our AdWords linked to their Analytics account.

Regardless, you will be generating clicks at a small fraction of the cost, and there's a good chance a portion of those clicks are landlords who are shopping around. 

Thanks @John Powers .  That's some good information.  I will give it a shot and see what kind of activity I get after a month or so.  I've done a good job asking anyone who contacts me how they found me, and even what search phrases they used.  Most leads do come from the Google Adwords.  Thanks again.  

Hey @John Powers .  No, I'm sorry.  I never changed my campaign.  I ended up hiring an SEO company to see how that plays out.  If I go at it myself again I will definitely try.  Thanks for the follow up.