Live in Flip Homeowner Timeline -- Charlotte, NC

Live in Flip Homeowner Timeline -- Charlotte, NC

Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 5 votes

Hello! I'm starting to seriously look into my 1st live and flip in Charlotte NC.  I'm looking on Mecklenburg county website about permits and I have some questions I'm curious if someone else has ran into. I should mention I'm not a GC, but a handy homeowner planning on doing most of the work myself, and only contracting out when needed. From the county website:

  • For residential projects costing $30,000 or more, the homeowner may apply for a building permit, but is not eligible for a Homeowner Account. A bond account must be established and posted through Mecklenburg County and the homeowner follows the contractor permitting process. The homeowner is also required to complete an Owner Exemption Affidavit form declaring their ownership and that they live, or plan to live, in the home for a minimum of 12 months after project completion.

Looking at the last sentence it seems like if you're a home owner and do a project worth more than 30k you need to live in the house for 12 months after the project has been completed? I might just be misinterpreting that statement but obviously that would throw a big wrench into any timeline. I plan on calling the county to get clarity around this, but figured it couldn't hurt to reach out here to see if someone has ran into the same question or could shine some light on what the process is for a 30k+ flip in Mecklenburg county

0Reply
20 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 88 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    Hey @Chris S., I'm curious what is your timeline when you are saying you are doing a live in flip? The first thing that comes to mind is the time requirement is probably to restrict unlicensed contractors from buying a property and 'living in it' long enough to do the work and sell it. That would be a very clever work around from getting licensed and bonded for work over $30k. Just my perspective on the matter, my background is in contract work and construction. I could be wrong though

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.