Provide washer/dryer for tenant?

19 Replies

Hey BP,

I am putting up a unit of a Duplex on the market soon in Old Brooklyn/Brooklyn. What's the expectation for tenants in this area? I have a property manager saying they usually provide their own. Is this true?

I like the idea of not being responsible if it breaks and it's theirs, but I also like the idea of providing it so they don't damage anything hauling them in and out. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

@Gino Tomba

Generally easy to find tenants in Old Brooklyn if priced correctly. Don’t know what you mean by “they provide their own”

The second paragraph did not make much sense to me either.. maybe Re-word it. I will try to respond.

Bob

Not in your area but have never provided this to a tenant, it is also just one more thing to break, not to mention it costs quite a bit to buy.  They are moving in all kinds of furniture, a washer and dryer aren't going to be the difference between them dinging up the walls and not.

Oh I see... you are talking about appliances. No, tenants do not necessarily provide their own unless they already own them. Sometimes a great tenant comes along and “no appliances” can be a deal breaker.

(I assume you are referring to stove and fridge)

Bob

If you are talking washed and dryer... correct, they are seldom provided by landlord. I am even thinking of not allowing washer and dryer, because some tenants decide to run a laundromat for their friends... monitor water closely if you provide or allow washer and dryer.

Bob

I've never provided laundry machines for my tenants unless the machines were already present...in which case I always include a clause saying that I won't repair them if they break. I can't envision ever providing them.

@Gino Tomba

I told my tenant I will not provide W/D or tenant can rent the machines from me. Ten dollars each per month. And I promised to tenant after 36 months of the rental both washer and dryer will be belongs to the tenant. I picked up W/D from Facebook $100 each total cost $200 plus about $30 accessories. So 36 months x $20 will be $720 over 3 years on top of the rents. If tenant moved out by 1 year or two and I still own the machine. This way even cost to fix the machine for once still get covered. If lucky without fixing anything I make almost $500 profits. Plus they might end up to be a long term tenant because he wanted to own the machines. Win win!

In that particular neighborhood, it's not necessarily a tenant expectation that rentals will come with washer/dryer. Of course you'll find renters anywhere and everywhere who think they are entitled to brand new stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and a change of carpet every 3 years ;)

In Old Brooklyn, w/d is not a standard. But as others have mentioned, sometimes it is a nice amenity to set your rental apart from the others, especially if you can get scratch and dent for cheap and put a clause in your lease that you won't replace/repair. You can always choose to go above and beyond your lease for an awesome long term tenant if you wish...

Nope..... have the tenant provide their own washer dryer. That way if it breaks they have to pay to get it fixed. Also.... if you have W/D hookups and they Don’t bring in their own washer then they will be doing laundry at a laundromat and that means a lower water bill that you have to pay each month.

@Gino Tomba

In my area washers and dryers are common for landlords to provide them.  Yes occasionally they break down.  I also have my tenants pay all utilities including water.  Buying refurbished washer dryer versus new does come with the potential for more frequent breakdowns.  I have done both and I typically buy refurbished.

@Gino Tomba do not provide any appliance, then you need to pay for them when the tenant breaks them.  I have extensive experience with PM in Cleveland . ALso I assume a 2 br, is so do not take less then $800, VERY easy to fill. 

Originally posted by @Michael Corso :

It adds a big increase in rents.

How much would you say? I am working on a deal now that has this as a component to the value-add. I see a lot of potential in this, but I also understand the increased water cost, and people running their own laundromats haha. 

Originally posted by @Gino Tomba :

Hey BP,

I am putting up a unit of a Duplex on the market soon in Old Brooklyn/Brooklyn. What's the expectation for tenants in this area? I have a property manager saying they usually provide their own. Is this true?

I like the idea of not being responsible if it breaks and it's theirs, but I also like the idea of providing it so they don't damage anything hauling them in and out. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

The norm is for the tenants to supply their own washer and dryers in Old Brooklyn duplexes.

This is definitely geographically driven.  In my area it is common to provide w/d.  If your in a very competitive market the w/d might put your over the top and you can charge a higher rent.

In my rental history.. .9 few homes and few apartments) typically washer and dryer is available to the tenants of apartments, either in home, or in washroom on the property. Rental homes, that is different, if you are renting  a home, then u are more responsible for your appliances, washer dryers and frig. So bottom line, in my 4 plex, i have in unit washer dryers. Yes more cost for repairs, however I have had good luck with quality units. As for my homes, i don't supply washer / dryers and or refrigerators.