Buying from Holton Wise- poor communication

121 Replies | Cleveland, Ohio

@Brad Fausett   

Two comments on communication:  No seller is required to counter an offer or tell you why they aren't accepting an offer.  Responding no is fine. some people don't even respond. 

I also would have read that letter as not your funds. If the other guys name was on the contract no problem but just your name I would think this is an error.  That might be something you consider in how you move forward in future offers. Good Luck in your future deals.

@Brad Fausett I'm gonna give you the biggest help anyone can in this and say stop digging, your on the way to China with that grave. 

Suck it up, eat that ego, own YOUR mistake, apologize to @James Wise and earn back some respect. 

You say if seller wanted ___ sale price they should have stated it... They did, it's called the listing/asking price, that's literally what that number is, by definition. 

All your ranting about redact this and how dare you show that, I will remind that YOU started all this and disclosed things, James Wise has every right to respond to his defense. 

Proof Of Liquidity..... really, seriously, do you actually believe your fooling anyone with this? I get it, fake it till you make it, 100% get it man, but I think your a bit drunk on your own cool-aid when you think you can fool the "Oracle of Ohio". And than doubling, tripling down here on BP. Financed is financed, others persons funds is OTHER PERSONS FUNDS. 

If anything this whole event has just reinforced that when I invest in Ohio, I WILL be doing it via HW, ESPECIALLY when/if selling. 

Originally posted by @Scott Mac :

Sellers market....offers might need to be more on target.

Maybe @James Wise has another property that fits your requirements.

Good Luck!

Brad's going to have to include one of these with his future offers for the attempted flaming.

Originally posted by @James Hamling :

@Brad Fausett I'm gonna give you the biggest help anyone can in this and say stop digging, your on the way to China with that grave. 

Suck it up, eat that ego, own YOUR mistake, apologize to @James Wise and earn back some respect. 

You say if seller wanted ___ sale price they should have stated it... They did, it's called the listing/asking price, that's literally what that number is, by definition. 

All your ranting about redact this and how dare you show that, I will remind that YOU started all this and disclosed things, James Wise has every right to respond to his defense. 

Proof Of Liquidity..... really, seriously, do you actually believe your fooling anyone with this? I get it, fake it till you make it, 100% get it man, but I think your a bit drunk on your own cool-aid when you think you can fool the "Oracle of Ohio". And than doubling, tripling down here on BP. Financed is financed, others persons funds is OTHER PERSONS FUNDS. 

If anything this whole event has just reinforced that when I invest in Ohio, I WILL be doing it via HW, ESPECIALLY when/if selling. 

This has been another episode of "When flaming goes wrong"

In all honesty outside of "put down the shovel" the best advice I think anyone can give to Brad is real estate isn't for you man. If you're this mad that your offer was declined how are you going to handle real problems that pop up when dealing with Cleveland tenants? Your first eviction, first O.D, your first murder, first burst water pipe, first house fire etc......Those are real problems we deal with every day.

Originally posted by @Brad Fausett :

@Matt Devincenzo
...You have a cash buyer ready to move on a property you are representing for a client who is paying you to do so, I must disagree. This is poor service on their behalf for the client they are representing.

Originally posted by @Brad Fausett:

Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

.... Anyhow, That does not have anything to do with the poor communication in their attempt to sell a property for a client. The title of the thread is - Poor Communication. Never mind the buyer with cash looking to purchase.... Amateur move, okay Russell..

Again, point being is I would not want the agent representing something I had sitting on the market merely responding offer rejected to an interested buyer.    

Brad you're the one who keeps flopping back and forth. I was the first response and directed my response to the 'communication' topic, which you then deflected to how you don't think that's in his seller's best interest. Then when Russell addressed that you say 'the thread is about his communication'. And then again you go back to how you wouldn't want him to represent you. That's fine...but your thread was about his communication, not about how he represents a seller, which honestly you shouldn't' even comment on unless he actually is representing you. I had a house last year I told my agent 'don't bother telling me how it's going, just tell me when you have an offer...you've learned you don't like James' style, great so don't work with him! But his communication was direct, to the point and told you what you needed to know. THAT was what YOU said this thread was about!

My first view is there are two sides to every story ...

Holton-Wise (HW) could have provided more detail in their response (it would have been nice), but certainly is not obligated to.  The OP did not like the succinct rejection.  He would have preferred more info.  Both are understandable, but does not mean that HW has done anything wrong.

HW got an offer that met their clients needs and has been accepted.  As such, HW met their client's expectation.

Smile, shake hands, move on to the next great RE investment.

BTW if I made an offer at ~5% under ask that was rejected, I also would like to know what was not acceptable in my offer (price, contingencies, financing). It would allow me to decide if I can improve my offer in the deficient area and possibly submit a new offer. While I would prefer this, I do not believe the seller or their agent has any obligation to do so. I once made an offer $50K over ask and did not get any response (the agent indicated offer had been receive, but we never got a rejection or any information on why our offer was not being accepted). The sad part is I was willing to beat my offer and the eventual selling price (which was basically my initial offer) if I had known that was the issue (I suspect I would not have been beaten by anyone on price and could have come in all cash). My agent believes selling agent had a buyer (double representation). Four or five years later, it is still the only true multiplex (not ADU addition) to hit the open market in that zip code.

Don’t hold your breath on that...  good on you for redacting the document however.   I guess you seen my name was also provided now.  

You should not have posted a financial document with names involved, poor business decision. I’m sure your own personal legal team would agree.  

Moving on, you are not the type of business person I want to engage with,  we won’t be crossing paths again.  Your desire to post confidential private banking information is irresponsible, especially in retailiation of someone voicing their displeasure with your company communication skills.   Anyone who reads this thread in the future will surely feel they are in good hands with info they provide since you were so quick to place it on the Internet over a bad review.  Not to mention your point was to say I used someone else account info as proof of funds when both parties who would have been engaged in the purchase's name were clearly on the document that was drafted specifically for the purchase of this property.

No hard feelings here.  I’m all the wiser as what to expect from your firm after this engagement.

Originally posted by @Dan Heuschele :

My first view is there are two sides to every story ...

Holton-Wise (HW) could have provided more detail in their response (it would have been nice), but certainly is not obligated to.  The OP did not like the succinct rejection.  He would have preferred more info.  Both are understandable, but does not mean that HW has done anything wrong.

HW got an offer that met their clients needs and has been accepted.  As such, HW met their client's expectation.

Smile, shake hands, move on to the next great RE investment.

BTW if I made an offer at ~5% under ask that was rejected, I also would like to know what was not acceptable in my offer (price, contingencies, financing). It would allow me to decide if I can improve my offer in the deficient area and possibly submit a new offer. While I would prefer this, I do not believe the seller or their agent has any obligation to do so. I once made an offer $50K over ask and did not get any response (the agent indicated offer had been receive, but we never got a rejection or any information on why our offer was not being accepted). The sad part is I was willing to beat my offer and the eventual selling price (which was basically my initial offer) if I had known that was the issue (I suspect I would not have been beaten by anyone on price and could have come in all cash). My agent believes selling agent had a buyer (double representation). Four or five years later, it is still the only true multiplex (not ADU addition) to hit the open market in that zip code.

You mean exactly what I sent Brad's agent below?

Originally posted by @Colleen F. :

@Brad Fausett   

Two comments on communication:  No seller is required to counter an offer or tell you why they aren't accepting an offer.  Responding no is fine. some people don't even respond. 

I also would have read that letter as not your funds. If the other guys name was on the contract no problem but just your name I would think this is an error.  That might be something you consider in how you move forward in future offers. Good Luck in your future deals.

agreed 

I put in an offer in a property through buyers agent  and never heard back   Fortunately I knew the owner/broker of the agent 

I called him and asked him what was up  he said he didn’t know and suggested I call the listing agent and ask 

I did   He said flat out he didn’t think I was a serious buyer and never presented the offer.  He stated he wasn’t required to by law and didn’t bother his seller with offers he felt were not serious 

After we spoke for about 15 mins he said he would presented the offer  

it was accepted.  And now I own the 99.8 acre parcel and have a new friend

was he right?
was I right?

The don’t care.    My objective was to own the property.  I reached my objective 

Screw pride.  I want results for myself to reach my long term/lifelong goal.  It’s so nice to be older and not have that macho ego on my shoulder as often 

I agree Michael, we were merely trying to get a deal done.    As initial stated, between the office and their response it left little room for communication.   Oh well, everyone have a great weekend.

Don’t hold your breath on that...  good on you for redacting the document however.   I guess you seen my name was also provided now.  

You should not have posted a financial document with names involved, poor business decision. I’m sure your own personal legal team would agree.  

Moving on, you are not the type of business person I want to engage with,  we won’t be crossing paths again.  Your desire to post confidential private banking information is irresponsible, especially in retailiation of someone voicing their displeasure with your company communication skills.   Anyone who reads this thread in the future will surely feel they are in good hands with info they provide since you were so quick to place it on the Internet over a bad review.  Not to mention your point was to say I used someone else account info as proof of funds when both parties who would have been engaged in the purchase's name were clearly on the document that was drafted specifically for the purchase of this property.

No hard feelings here.  I’m all the wiser as what to expect from your firm after this engagement.

Bruhhhhhhhhhh.

See that below, that's the purchase agreement with your name and signature on it. You know who's name and signature is not on this purchase agreement? The guy who has the money. You know what else is on there? Contingencies that were not acceptable. 

You can't still be this confused can you? Not possible. Nobody is this clueless. You must be trolling now.

Originally posted by @James Wise:
Originally posted by @Scott Mac:

Sellers market....offers might need to be more on target.

Maybe @James Wise has another property that fits your requirements.

Good Luck!

Brad's going to have to include one of these with his future offers for the attempted flaming.

Price just went up. 3 teddy bears now.

If I could publicly roast the agents that sent me below-list price "cash" offers with strange pre approval letters and contingencies on as-is sales I would be so happy. I'm jealous

Originally posted by @James Wise :

Bruhhhhhhhhhh.

See that below, that's the purchase agreement with your name and signature on it. You know who's name and signature is not on this purchase agreement? The guy who has the money. You know what else is on there? Contingencies that were not acceptable. 

You can't still be this confused can you? Not possible. Nobody is this clueless. You must be trolling now.

Well to be fair it was a cash offer, just not his cash. I guess we can start calling FHA offers cash as well since that's what's being paid in the end.

When I was a broker, I'd ask my clients if they even want me to bring certain offers to their attention, like owner-financed, or offers below x% of list. 99% would say no, don't bother me with it. You replying to his agent that his offer w/ contingencies was declined, after specifically stating no contingencies would be considered, was going a step above all in of itself versus just deleting the email all-together. Especially with the nonsense "we need to view all units" - which coupled with someone else's POF being provided 100% sounds like someone trying to wholesale an MLS deal where the "partner" comes in and doesn't approve of the condition or whatever.

Muddy your good name?  What in you communication was good?  Your receptionist was rude, like she was offended we followed up.  Then when we did receive a response, it left a bit to be desired when someone is trying to work with you to come to a deal.   

Let it go, way to defensive here.  You have provided a lot of helpful information here on this forum, I appreciate the info and time you have spent here.  As for trying to buy a property from you, it left a lot to be desired in way of communicating with your firm.  End of story.  Take customer feedback and do what you will.  I am moving on.  I had no intention of deceiving anyone, I have relationships in place to make things in my own RE journey happen.  You missed the part that included my name, I get it, seems fishy from your prospective.  I’m not muddying the water here, I had hoped for a better level of communication from you.  Unfortunately I didn’t realize you only have time  to communicate on forums vs directly with customers looking to do business with your firm. 

Muddy your good name?  What in you communication was good?  Your receptionist was rude, like she was offended we followed up.  Then when we did receive a response, it left a bit to be desired when someone is trying to work with you to come to a deal.   

Let it go, way to defensive here.  You have provided a lot of helpful information here on this forum, I appreciate the info and time you have spent here.  As for trying to buy a property from you, it left a lot to be desired in way of communicating with your firm.  End of story.  Take customer feedback and do what you will.  I am moving on.  I had no intention of deceiving anyone, I have relationships in place to make things in my own RE journey happen.  You missed the part that included my name, I get it, seems fishy from your prospective.  I’m not muddying the water here, I had hoped for a better level of communication from you.  Unfortunately I didn’t realize you only have time  to communicate on forums vs directly with customers looking to do business with your firm. 

So are you saying the communications he pasted here from him to your agent did not in fact happen?  

Sounds like maybe the communication problem from what I can garner in this thread was between your agent and you, unless you are contending that the replies he screen capped and posted here were faked on the quick.

Originally posted by @Russell Brazil :

So are you saying the communications he pasted here from him to your agent did not in fact happen?  

Sounds like maybe the communication problem from what I can garner in this thread was between your agent and you, unless you are contending that the replies he screen capped and posted here were faked on the quick.

Russ have you ever seen Behind The Curve on Netflix? This is where I feel like I am right now.

Wait, so asking to see the rest of the property however acknowledging we will waive asking for any concessions to said property after reviewing is still a contingency that you are not willing to accept?  Who the hell buys sight unseen?   What are you hiding?   No thanks.

Again, this thread was about disappointment with the level of communication between your office and my realtor / me.   Clearly you only have time for Internet forums.   

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @James Hamling:

This has been another episode of "When flaming goes wrong"

In all honesty outside of "put down the shovel" the best advice I think anyone can give to Brad is real estate isn't for you man. If you're this mad that your offer was declined how are you going to handle real problems that pop up when dealing with Cleveland tenants? Your first eviction, first O.D, your first murder, first burst water pipe, first house fire etc......Those are real problems we deal with every day.

Awh, come on!  He was going to hire you as his PM and YOU were going to deal with that...and explain it to him 20 times after you dealt with it! 

Wait, so asking to see the rest of the property however acknowledging we will waive asking for any concessions to said property after reviewing is still a contingency that you are not willing to accept?  Who the hell buys sight unseen?   What are you hiding?   No thanks.

Again, this thread was about disappointment with the level of communication between your office and my realtor / me.   Clearly you only have time for Internet forums.   

I have NEVER seen the inside of the properties I bought as investments and did not see the inside of 2 personal homes I bought. I generally buy foreclosures or REO properties and often do not even get keys after closing, but get to break into the properties.

Geez--you even got videos of the inside!  And maybe, if your realtor showed it to you, an inspection report!  AND you got to look in one unit, and saw it was not perfect and work would be needed.  And you likely would get a walkthrough right before closing to see if the property looks like the video!

@Brad Fausett the time you spent writing this post, you could have made atleast 10 other offers. I don't get the point of this. This is like posting your personal business between you and your girlfriend on the internet. Nobody owes you anything. This post is pointless and a waste of time!

Originally posted by @Chuks Erinne :

@Brad Fausett the time you spent writing this post, you could have made atleast 10 other offers. I don't get the point of this. This is like posting your personal business between you and your girlfriend on the internet. Nobody owes you anything. This post is pointless and a waste of time!

I was entertained!

In fact I might actually pop for Pro membership if it included access to a secret forum where its just curated links to all the duke-em-outs that happen sometimes on here. LOL