Anyone go through the lead safe certification yet?

22 Replies | Cleveland, Ohio

I owner occupy a duplex in Kamm's Corner. My certification is due this quarter. The house is in good shape with various updates so I'm not too worried about it, but curious if anyone else has gone through the process yet and if there were any surprising headaches?

Hi @Rick Jarrell@Federico Gutierrez we recently got some feedback regarding the changes. It sounds like the county still hasn't quite determined the exact process/implementation/etc. - are you surprised? :) 

Here is the feedback we received:

The lead clearance examination is all you would need to comply with lead safe legislation. The lead risk assessment is for when you want to know where the lead is specifically.

We charge $200 for the first unit that includes a walkthrough of the process, what to look out for and how to prepare before the lead clearance exam. The price drops to $150 per unit after the first unit.

A clearance exam consist of a visual assessment and if there is any chipping, cracked or peeling paint you automatically fail the inspection. After the visual assessment we collect 13 dust wipe samples throughout the house which we send to a lab and for determination of lead dust. Once we collect the results from the lab 7-10 days later we return a report which you send to the city to receive a lead safe certificate.

Again I would recommend a walkthrough, which I can do this Friday and then perform the lead clearance exam early next week.

Originally posted by @Geoffrey Rucinski :

Hi @Rick Jarrell@Federico Gutierrez we recently got some feedback regarding the changes. It sounds like the county still hasn't quite determined the exact process/implementation/etc. - are you surprised? :) 

Here is the feedback we received:

The lead clearance examination is all you would need to comply with lead safe legislation. The lead risk assessment is for when you want to know where the lead is specifically.

We charge $200 for the first unit that includes a walkthrough of the process, what to look out for and how to prepare before the lead clearance exam. The price drops to $150 per unit after the first unit.

A clearance exam consist of a visual assessment and if there is any chipping, cracked or peeling paint you automatically fail the inspection. After the visual assessment we collect 13 dust wipe samples throughout the house which we send to a lab and for determination of lead dust. Once we collect the results from the lab 7-10 days later we return a report which you send to the city to receive a lead safe certificate.

Again I would recommend a walkthrough, which I can do this Friday and then perform the lead clearance exam early next week.

That's good info. Do you have a contact for this lead inspector? I'm curious if anyone has gone through the entire process and what we can expect? I've heard horrid stories that it can cost 10k or more but perhaps those are the exceptions and not majority of places.

Hi Everyone. I wanted to check in and find out what you experience has been like with the lead certification process? My SFR needs to go through this and I am having a hard time finding others who have gone through the process. Thanks in advance for your input.

@Rick Jarrell

To me it's just a money grab. A lead test every two years that you must pay a permit for. If it wasn't there two years prior it won't be there later when fresh non lead based paint is used. The city loves to try and tax landlords all they can.

I've had two investors try to get it done but they haven't responded to us at all.

I own one SFH in 44135. My property manager just provided an estimate for repairs necessary to make it "lead safe". The estimate came in at ~7k. I called the lead safe coalition (833-601-5323) to find out about financial assistance and they are going to send me some information.

Not happy about this.  It is unlikely I will ever invest in the Cleveland market again.  This one of many reasons why real estate is so cheap in Cleveland.  There are better cash flow markets that are more landlord friendly.  Invest your dollars there.

I have been going through it. The lazy way out is just to ask your PM to handle it. However if you want to be educated about the process there is stuff online with the City, just google it. They also have a list of certified lead RRP contractors that you can contact directly....which is what I did. I basically "interviewed" over the phone a couple of them. Then I had them liason with my PM to go into my rentals and do the work.

Can someone please clarify: the original post mentioned quarterly lead safe inspections but other respondents have cited an inspection being required every 2 years. Which is correct?

Originally posted by @Brian Garlington :

I have been going through it. The lazy way out is just to ask your PM to handle it. However if you want to be educated about the process there is stuff online with the City, just google it. They also have a list of certified lead RRP contractors that you can contact directly....which is what I did. I basically "interviewed" over the phone a couple of them. Then I had them liason with my PM to go into my rentals and do the work.

This is really helpful, would you mind sharing the RRP contractor you worked with? 

Here's a link to the list of lead safe workers:  

https://leadsafecle.org/lead-s...

Thanks @Brian Garlington ! We're looking closely at Cleveland, Toledo and Dayton. I was aware lead paint was an issue, but this is the most detail I've come across so far.

Originally posted by @Greg Schuricht :

I own one SFH in 44135. My property manager just provided an estimate for repairs necessary to make it "lead safe". The estimate came in at ~7k. I called the lead safe coalition (833-601-5323) to find out about financial assistance and they are going to send me some information.

Not happy about this.  It is unlikely I will ever invest in the Cleveland market again.  This one of many reasons why real estate is so cheap in Cleveland.  There are better cash flow markets that are more landlord friendly.  Invest your dollars there.

Or just only buy places built after 1978 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

@Bonnie Low

Cleveland instituted the “lead safe initiative” an ordinance that was passed in 2019 and implemented March 2021. This inspection and testing is required every two years going forward.  without the passing certificate you will not be able get your rental registration or be able to evict a tenant if necessary. The short of the ordinance is that it is trying protect children from lead poisoning..testing the house to prove that the house does NOT have lead NOT proving that the house DOES have lead. The first two zip codes to roll out in March were 44120 and 44135.. I have rental properties in both ZIP Codes and the process is fairly simple if you have a certified company who can walk you or your PM through the process and execute all the steps necessary to get the certificate. I’m happy to share info if you PM me..

Originally posted by @Brian Garlington :

How has your experience been in terms of cost? Is the city requiring you to spend thousands of dollars for each property or is it more or less easy to get the certificate? 

My biggest challenge with this is that I have a duplex that is fully occupied. It's not clear to me how clean the house needs to be before the inspection. I personally wouldn't trust my tenants to do the cleaning for an inspection I'm paying for. It would also feel like an invasion of their privacy if I'm cleaning every room in their home.