Where to Invest for Out of State Investors

9 Replies | Toledo, Ohio

Hello BP. If you're looking to invest, I believe that the Toledo market has a lot to offer. I've lived here my whole life and I've decided to become an agent so I can help out of state investors invest here. Toledo is a good market because of it's diversity. There are investors here that have long term tenants because the make-up of our economic base is a healthy mix between white and blue collar jobs. Employers here include Promedica, Mercy Health, Jeep, Amazon, Owens Corning, Dana, The Andersons, Owens Illinois, First Solar, and Libbey. We also have several universities: Bowling Green State University, The University of Toledo, and Owens Community College.

You can do well here in single family and multifamily. Earlier this year I made a groupchat for all of the investors in the area and there is one guy who specializes in buying duplexes for $60k and rents each unit for $600 a piece. We have other investors that focus on student rentals. We have another investor who buys in the suburbs and rents out 4 bedroom homes. There are so many strategies here to choose from!

The best thing about our area is the tenants. We have long term tenants here. Families want to stay, primarily due to the school systems or their jobs. Outside of Toledo, in the suburbs, you'll find some of the best school systems in Ohio. Sylvania, Ottawa Hills, Perrysburg, and Maumee Schools.

I really can't say enough about this area. If you find the right neighborhood you can do very well. I've met several investors who have had the same tenant for over 20 years!

Message me if you're interested in learning about the Glass City!

Originally posted by @Will Fraser :

Thanks for sharing some of the good things about Toledo, @Stephen Brown!

Why is it called Glass City?

When the city was first founded there was a big rush of glass manufacturers to the area. In fact, one of the world's largest glass manufacturers is located here: Libbey Glass.

@Stephen Brown I have also been here most of my life and the main downside right now is nicer properties are very difficult to impossible to find where the numbers still work for long term buy and hold. I have been searching hard for the last 2 years and while I have managed to get some deals the vast majority of them vanish within hours and/or are overbid so quickly to prices where the investment numbers no longer work. I don't look for or buy lower end houses that seem to be really popular with a lot of investors so I am not sure if there is stuff to be had in that market or not.

Originally posted by @Michael Temple :

@Stephen Brown I have also been here most of my life and the main downside right now is nicer properties are very difficult to impossible to find where the numbers still work for long term buy and hold. I have been searching hard for the last 2 years and while I have managed to get some deals the vast majority of them vanish within hours and/or are overbid so quickly to prices where the investment numbers no longer work. I don't look for or buy lower end houses that seem to be really popular with a lot of investors so I am not sure if there is stuff to be had in that market or not.

Yep. I agree 100%. Right now deals are very difficult to come across. I really had to dig to find something that worked out in a good neighborhood. Thanks for your reply!

Hey @Will Fraser I love when I am asked this question, Founded in 1833, Toledo has become well known for its industry, particularly in auto assembly and glass.  We are also the "Glass City of the world."  We are also called FrogTown because when the settlers first came to the area, we were a big swamp.  Next time you go out to dinner, lift up your drinking glass, I will bet there is a "Libbey" glass Stamp on the bottom.  If there is, you will be drinking out of a glass that was produced and distributed from Toledo.  I was speaking to a guy in France, just outside of Bordeaux France and while I was on the phone he went into his cupboard and grabbed a drinking glass and BOOM there it was ;) That was my most exciting discovery because I was actually surprised it had the stamp.

@Mike Mocek that's an awesome story!  

I just tried it with a whiskey glass in a home I'm inspecting and it was a no-go, but I'll chock that up to stodgy whisky culture 😃