• Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Crooked House in Akron

Kayla V.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Posted Jul 8 2019, 07:13

My husband and I purchased a 3 bed, 1.5 bath single family house builtin in 1929 in Akron, Ohio 44303, a great neighborhood with good schools. 

We bought it knowing it had significant structural issues. That has been fixed- multiple posts installed, french drains and a sump and wall bracing around the entire basement. They did jack up the main level and upstairs of the house, but it's still crooked. 

Our plan is to flip it, but I think a retail buyer will be turned off by the obvious jankyness of it. If you stand in one corner of the kitchen, you can easily see the floor drop away. Additionally, a lot of the trim is visibly crooked. 

I lived in Akron for a year and am now in Denver CO. In Denver, this crookedness would be a huge turnoff. We're unsure how much to fix up the house- do we put in a new kitchen, refinish hardwood floors and clean up the bathrooms (~+$25K) or do we just paint and pretty it up a bit and get rid of it?

For those of you who know the Akron market better than I do, are slopy floors a huge turnoff to buyers or somewhat expected in an area with older homes?

Loading replies...