Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Oklahoma City Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Denise Curtis
  • Investor
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
Oklahoma City appreciation

Denise Curtis
  • Investor
  • Jersey City, NJ
Posted Jun 5 2020, 10:12

I'm looking at a rental property in Oklahoma City, specifically in the Capital Hill area. Does anyone have insight into home appreciation in the area? I know it's an up-and-coming neighborhood, but any insight in this market and OKC in general is welcome! This will be my first investment out of state, so doing my due diligence. Thanks all!

Denise

User Stats

Votes
Alfred Litton
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Valley View, TX
Votes |
  • Valley View, TX
Replied Jun 5 2020, 10:56

I'll let others with more detailed knowledge of OKC than I have weigh in here, but I will say that I was doing my research on OKC about a year ago in hopes of investing there and learned very quickly that the Capital Hill area can be quite dicey.  In and around that are is a great deal of crime, and S. Robinson in particular is notorious for street prostitution and drugs. I live in north Texas and went up there to look at a couple of duplexes in that area. Nope, nope, nope.  Not for me.  It may or may not be up-and-coming, but I'm not willing to risk it from what I saw. Again, though, others may have more detailed info that I don't.

User Stats

Votes
Alfred Litton
  • Valley View, TX
Votes |
  • Valley View, TX
Replied Jun 5 2020, 10:59

Midwest City neighborhood might be more to your liking. Good C-class and lower B-class properties at reasonable prices.  Delmar, too, but the city there gives you all kinds of grief if you want permits to rehab a place.  If I buy there this coming year, which I probably will, it will be in Midwest City most likely.  [BTW, the Youtube channel "JohnTV" made S. Robinson famous. He would go out and film Johns picking up prostitutes in that area to shame them.]

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Baker
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jun 5 2020, 11:50

I would stay away from Capitol Hill. I guess I should have added, although I live in TX now, I lived in OKC for 30 years and still travel back at least 6 or more times a year, so I''m very familiar with the area. 

User Stats

Votes
Cassi Justiz
  • Edmond, OK
Votes |
  • Edmond, OK
Replied Jun 5 2020, 11:58

You are right that the city and developers are working to make Capitol Hill area an "up and coming" area. There is some cool stuff going on right now, but unfortunately I'm not seeing residential rents reflect the "up and coming" vibes yet. I would say appreciation is still very speculative. It could be the next cool place to be, but there are other areas that are also getting attention and positioning to be the next big thing. You need to make sure your numbers work at current rent/purchase price because it will likely be a while before you see enough appreciation to make it worthwhile as any kind of appreciation play. 

User Stats

Votes
Rhett Tullis
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Jun 5 2020, 12:55

capitol hill can be a good low income rental area.  for it to be up and coming in this economy plan on holding for 5 to 10 years.  most homes in the area are in need of some major cap ex save a few so be prepared there.  that is why you get the lower entry price in the area though.  i manage alot around there and they can cash flow great and have certainly went up in value over the past 5 years or so but not sure they will make another jump any time soon.

User Stats

Votes
Denise Curtis
  • Investor
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jersey City, NJ
Replied Jun 5 2020, 13:18

Thank you everyone for the input! It is cashflowing as-is, just concerned that if the area doesn't come up then it might be hard when I exit. 

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oklahoma City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oklahoma City
Replied Jun 5 2020, 15:22

Hey @Denise Curtis,

Just like what everyone else said, Capitol Hill is still a work in progress. It's similar to NE OKC, where you do have government money being poured into there for development, but will take years before it gets better.

If you are interested in SW OKC, I would recommend areas underneath 59th St. It's starting to develop, as the Amazon Facility opened up near there, as well as the college being close by.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Rhett Tullis
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Jun 8 2020, 09:58

exit is the issue. in capitol hill as with many of the "c class areas" your primary buyers will be stingy investors like all of us that want to get a "steal" on the property.  you need to make your money on the purchase in this type of property not on the sale of the property.  make sure and get it below market in other words.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Wood
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma
Replied Feb 22 2021, 12:26
Check this out!  Great info!https://www.noradarealestate.c...

User Stats

Votes
Simond Wong
  • Investor
  • Oklahoma City
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Oklahoma City
Replied Oct 16 2021, 18:46

@Denise 

@Denise Curtis how did your investment pursuits turn out, did you buy in Capital Hill or OKC at all? Good luck.