Votes |
Oakland County (Michigan) Tax Auction

Dan Hedges
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Camas, WA
Posted May 20 2020, 10:30

Hello!

Has anyone bought a property from the Oakland County Courthouse before? I'm looking for information on the process and things to be aware of. I've looked at the title work. Would I be responsible for clearing up the liens against the property?

Thank you in advance,

Dan

User Stats

Votes
Joshua B.
  • Professional
  • Canton, MI
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Canton, MI
Replied May 20 2020, 18:00

@Dan Hedges most liens are “blown up” by the tax foreclosure save a few (off the top of my head so don’t quote me - IRS, certain environmental liens). If you see anything out of the ordinary (i.e. non mortgage) I’d check with an attorney. Bank liens are usually blown up because they receive notice and opportunity to cure in order to protect their interest.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Hedges
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Camas, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Camas, WA
Replied May 20 2020, 18:24

Thank you, @Joshua B.!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 20 2020, 18:47

These are "as is" deals so u better verify on environmental issues. There have been a number of tax lien cases across the country where winning auctions bidders ended up with property where cleanup cost more than the bid.. they faced choice of taking title and performing cleanup or forfeiting their deposit and walking away.....