New Construction w/ Underlying Lot Lines

4 Replies

Hi All,

I (fairly) recently purchased a SE home in R5 zoning with an underlying lot line running through it on a corner lot.  It's around 5700 sq ft (100 x 57) with a small house pushed off to the non-corner side of the property, leaving a little over half empty/vacant.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience doing a lot confirmation to divide lots w/ an underlying lot line and build new on the new/vacant lot?  I was able to find some information here and here, but curious to find out more from others.  I'm considering dividing the lot and building new on the newly created lot or potentially waiting to see how things go w/ the RIP and doing a new build all on one lot, and not dividing at all.

Thanks!

Taj

Hey Taj, 

I'd defer here to others...

I believe @Caleb Webster could likely give you a little advice on splitting and building. For what it's worth, the RIP is still in process and we should have answers within the next couple months. My guess is that you'll have a final answer on how the RIP impacts the lot before you'd get approval from the city to divide and build. 

Please keep us in the loop on how it goes!

Mathew

Originally posted by @Mathew Wray :

Hey Taj, 

I'd defer here to others...

I believe @Caleb Webster could likely give you a little advice on splitting and building. For what it's worth, the RIP is still in process and we should have answers within the next couple months. My guess is that you'll have a final answer on how the RIP impacts the lot before you'd get approval from the city to divide and build. 

Please keep us in the loop on how it goes!

Mathew

they are called lot confirmations

@Taj T. I'd definitely recommend talking to BDS about what your options are. Take a look at this map and see if your R5 lot will be changing to an R2.5 lot with the RIP changes. I'm by no means an expert on lot confirmations and PLAs but I've had to learn a lot about the process for the one I'm doing. 

If you already have an underlying plat line, the process should go a lot quicker. Might also be worth using a planner for your first property line adjustment, they are fairly affordable (~$1000 for a PLA) and will really streamline the process for you. 

Thanks all, really appreciate the information. @Caleb Webster - good suggestions, thank you. The property will stay R5 at this point, unfortunately. Any recommendations on a planner?

Thanks again!

Taj

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here