Portland Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Grayson Fleming
Votes |
What to look for/Where to look for first home purchase

Grayson Fleming
Posted Sep 7 2019, 18:17

Hi. Just moved to portland about 2 months ago, and loving it so far. I just graduated college and got a job as an engineer out here in clackamas area. I want to buy a house whenever possible, but don't have a lot of funds to buy the nicer stuff. 

My ultimate goal is to own several homes in the area that I rent out. I have maybe about $15k in savings and a credit score of about 720. I've heard most people say "save up for the 20% down payment" but I figure if i am gonna be here anyways i may as well be paying towards my mortgage instead of rent.

I have no problem house hacking and renting extra rooms or whatever to make it work out. I guess i'm asking for advice on what kind of places i should be looking for and what is realistic for me. My goal right now is saving an additional $1500 a month or so. 

I ultimately want to be in oregon city or clackamas, but some of the surrounding areas would be great too (i like more rural areas, not that that matters for renting). Thanks for reading this far, let me know if i can answer any questions

Loading replies...