• Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
More expensive the better?? House Hack

Nick Scullin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Jan 25 2021, 12:27

Hi guys!

So I've been thinking about this for a little bit and wanted to get some feedback from others. I want to start with a house hack here in the Philadelphia suburbs (as this is where I currently work my full time job). Specifically MontCo. Looking on the MLS (aka Zillow/realtor) I've been able to see duplexes run anywhere from 250-400k (generally). So my question is, if the math works for a good deal and the finances are in place, would you go for the more expensive deal? My thought being that appreciation (the icing on the cake, not banking on it) would be better, theoretically rents higher and therefore higher loan paydown. So if finances and the math on a property make sense and are taken care of, would you go for the more expensive property? This is assuming a low down payment for an owner occupied loan (~5% maybe even 3.5% FHA).

Now I understand there are PLENTY of other factors going into a deal such as looking at the market (crime, neighborhood class, Schools, unemployment, population growth), the tenants you get, what rent is actually going for, maintenance on the property, age of the property and much much more. I'm just asking a hypothetical dumbed down question.

My current opinion is that more expensive is better since it's more leverage starting out and the appreciation will result in more money and the loan paydown should be better. Or am I naïve? Let me know i'd love to hear your thoughts!!

Loading replies...