Skip to content
Philadelphia Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Kristin Feerst
Pro Member
  • Merchantville, NJ
Votes |
New landlord requirement for office in the city????

Kristin Feerst
Pro Member
  • Merchantville, NJ
Posted Jan 12 2023, 18:29

Hi everyone,

Just went into eclipse to renew a rental license and it came up with a new statement saying either the property must be managed by a PM in the city or we must have an address of an office in the city.  

What is this?  I live 20min from my property just over the bridge in NJ.  If I lived in west or far NE Philly I’d actually be further away.  What is the point of this new requirement?

I think I am done with Philly, let me know if you are realtor and want to help me exit this ridiculous landlord hostile place!

TIA!

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Pietrzak
  • Investor
  • Willow Grove, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Grove, PA
Replied Jan 12 2023, 19:34
Quote from @Kristin Feerst:

Hi everyone,

Just went into eclipse to renew a rental license and it came up with a new statement saying either the property must be managed by a PM in the city or we must have an address of an office in the city.  

What is this?  I live 20min from my property just over the bridge in NJ.  If I lived in west or far NE Philly I’d actually be further away.  What is the point of this new requirement?

I think I am done with Philly, let me know if you are realtor and want to help me exit this ridiculous landlord hostile place!

TIA!

It feels as if the city will do anything to make to landlord process as difficult as possible anymore. I would be happy to assist with the disposition of your properties. Feel free to reach out when time permits.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Greenberg
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jan 13 2023, 16:52

I think thats a little over dramatic but to each their own. I believe the goal is to have a point of contact very close by incase there are issues as there are many absentee landlords in Philly.  We all know the city isn't technologically advanced enough to implement utilizing distance so Im sure they just opted to use Philadelphia as the geographical region since thats very easy. 

That said my understanding is you need to provide someone who lives in or works in Philadelphia as a contact. That person just needs to understand their role if they sign up for it. I believe a few PM companies are charging a small amount (couple hundred for the year) to act as that person. If thats the route you go I would pass that along to the tenants and explain why the increase. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes