Plumber

9 Replies | Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Does anyone know a good plumber in the Philadelphia area who's not going to gouge me? It looks like I need to have my drainage pipe replaced out to the street. I am rehabbing a row home in Port Richmond myself to rent it out. I did the rest of the plumbing myself but I think this project is beyond me.

You can try Best Choice Plumbing. They were reasonably priced for work I had them do in Philadelphia. And in Philadelphia the plumber doing such work must be licensed, and you should be having them get permits ...

Originally posted by @Troy S.:
Originally posted by @Matt Roberts:

Thanks I'll get a quote from them. 

Arrow Plumbing has done two of these for me and has had the best prices. 

I will try them. Mike Ruth wanted 50% down. I found that unreasonable. 

Originally posted by @Matt Roberts :

You're not going to find a plumber that will start a job of that size without a deposit. Bill from Arrow will want 50% down to start too. Another question, how do you know you need it replaced? Get them to scope it first, could save you a fortune. Just the curb trap might be bad instead of digging from house to main. 

I was thinking 10% down would be sufficient but just from all the horror stories I've heard. Either way I will ask arrow if they can scope it. Is it worth it to have it all replaced just so I don't have to have them dig it up again in the future?

You're not going to find a plumber that will start a job of that size without a deposit. Bill from Arrow will want 50% down to start too. Another question, how do you know you need it replaced? Get them to scope it first, could save you a fortune. Just the curb trap might be bad instead of digging from house to main. 

Mike Ruth quoted me $2800 not including replacing the concrete. The first guy said $5000 so I figured that was a deal. How much did you pay for this job?

Originally posted by @Matt Roberts :

Mike Ruth quoted me $2800 not including replacing the concrete. The first guy said $5000 so I figured that was a deal. How much did you pay for this job?

If it's just the curb trap it's around $2650. If they go from house to main I'd expect closer to $5k, maybe more depending on depth and distance. I would replace what the plumber tells you needs replaced and if it's questionable, it's definitely cheaper to do it all at once. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples as far as scope. That's a huge difference in price. Also, most plumbers don't replace the sidewalk they bust up, that's on you, so there's an additional cost to watch. Also, permits, make sure they're getting them and they're included. If they're not getting permits they're likely not reputable enough to stand behind their work.