• Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Section 8 / PHA Troubleshooting

Sheryl Sitman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Feb 14 2020, 13:25

Calling all section 8 Philly experts. Two problem section  8 properties I would love some advice on:

1. Tenant is doing a lot of damage to what was a new house. 1. Broke newer stove  2. Broke newer washing machine . The washer is definitely from tenant misuse but unfortunately got included in the lease.  Do i have to fix it for her even if I have a repair guy say it is from misuse? If it happens again and  I do not repair, can PHA withhold rent? In other words can she break appliances every month and then I need to keep repairing?  When I do get someone at PHA, they transfer me to a line that does not answer or respond to messages. Or they say "that is between you and your tenant". There must be a way to submit concerns.

Same with pests and bugs. There is food all over the home and we exterminated once but it is filled with flies and she said she has mice. She received a brand new 5 bed 2.5 bath home that is now filthy. Do I have to pay for pest control just because she requests. I submitted a letter to PHA about the house condition but they do not respond.

2. Another home -we failed an inspection. remedied everything immediately and 2 months have past and they do not reinspect and hold our rent.

Property manager has tried to reach them by phone and email, to go into their offices ...  Nothing works. 

I had smooth experience with PHA in the past but this is unacceptable. Anyone know the secret or is it a lost cause?

Loading replies...