• Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Philadelphia L&I Permit Delays

Alan Y.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Aug 4 2020, 06:23

I purchased a Cobbs Creek duplex through a turnkey provider TCS Investments in Nov 2019.  The property needed a Make Safe Permit so the architecture plans were drawn up and some of the exterior work required to be remediated was done and the permit application was submitted by TCS to L&I in Feb 2020.  It's been 6 months that all work is on hold waiting for the permit to be issued and I'm told that L&I has been not responded to any permit requests. TCS is telling me that L&I has essentially shut down activity since March. They had submitted an application for an appointment to resolve the issue and remove the violation on the property through the City Permit Expeditor's office back in early June but still no response. In the meantime the property sits vacant and I am paying monthly interest on a line of credit waiting for rehab to start on a property I purchased 9 months ago.  I can understand the pandemic slowing things down but I wouldn't think that the L&I activity would be completely shut down for 6 months.  I am being told that there is simply no response from the city to the many requests that were put in for an update.  I see other Phila investors posting stories about receiving permits over the past months.  I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar issues with L&I?  I would like to think TCS is doing what they can but I the project seems stuck, the losses are mounting, and seems that there is no end in sight for getting the permit and starting rehab.  The reason for wanting to use a company like TCS is help navigate through these issues but it doesn't seem to be working. Any experienced Phila investors have advice on an avenue I can pursue to get some response from L&I and get the permit process moving?  Thanks!

Loading replies...