Pennsylvania LLC Formation Question

7 Replies

Hey BPhilly

I'm currently looking to invest in property in PA, specifically the Philadelphia area. I live in New York State, but my business partner leaves in Philadelphia. We are going to form an LLC for liability reasons. My question is:

When forming an LLC in Pennsylvania, do all members of the LLC have to be current residents of Pennsylvania? (or can 1 or all members live out of state?)

So far I have not found any information online indicating that this would be the case, but I wanted to ask on the forum because I assume people with more experience than myself have better insight.

Thank you,

Harry B.

Hi Harry,

I am also a new investor from NY and just purchased a property in Philadelphia. My LLC is set up with Pennsylvania. You might need a PA mailing address but we just used another business partner's address. Good luck with your property search!

@Harry Brodsky 

You certainly can live out of state and still maintain an LLC in Pennsylvania. You do not need to have a physical address within the state of Pennsylvania either. If you have any other questions that I can answer for you, send me a message!

@Harry Brodsky I am an investor living in California and I have had several PA LLCs that I own. I have a registered agent in Philadelphia, pay my business licenses and taxes there, and that's really the only requirement.

@Harry Brodsky

Pennsylvania law does not require any of the members to be Pennsylvania residents. You do need a registered office or a registered agent in Pennsylvania. 

Just note that unlike single member LLCs, it's generally a terrible idea to DIY a multi-member LLC.

Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it for legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.