McKeesport, PA

12 Replies | Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

How's everyone, I'm just starting REI and a spot saw within my range was McKeesport in Pittsburgh. I want to know if anyone can give me some info about the area. I've done some research and spoke to some people and they say it's a decent area close to the city and depending where the crime is bad. Just trying to learn more about the area, property I'm looking at is a 3 bedroom 1 bath single family

Hi Marck, I grew up in the McKeesport area and I own a few rentals there. Just like any other city there are good parts and bad parts. Let me know specifically where you are looking and I can help you out.

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now

I second what Jeremy said. I live close to that area and won't invest there. I have owned two homes there and gladly sold both of them. Even with being in close range they were high-maintenance management. As Justin mentioned, there are a few good pockets in McKeesport. But it's rare that great deals come up in those areas.

I recently spoke with a newer investor who bought 2 homes in McKeesport for 4K - that's for both. His plan is to put 20K rehab into each and rent them out. Sounds like a solid plan - 22K all-in each. But where he bought them he will have a very hard time getting a tenant who will pay and won't tear the new rehab up. This is what people who are selling these houses for 2K know: It's not worth dumping money in an area where it will not be appreciated - or worse - destroyed.

Having said that, if you do want to go there Justin Better will be your guy.

I'm targeting properties within the McKeesport zip code as well, more specifically Port Vue. It's a better area and within the South Allegheny School District. PM me and maybe we can team up.

Updated over 5 years ago

​I should also mention that my current day job is a mailman in those areas. I know which streets (and people) to avoid.

Originally posted by @Jerry Kisasonak :

I second what Jeremy said. I live close to that area and won't invest there. I have owned two homes there and gladly sold both of them. Even with being in close range they were high-maintenance management. As Justin mentioned, there are a few good pockets in McKeesport. But it's rare that great deals come up in those areas.

I recently spoke with a newer investor who bought 2 homes in McKeesport for 4K - that's for both. His plan is to put 20K rehab into each and rent them out. Sounds like a solid plan - 22K all-in each. But where he bought them he will have a very hard time getting a tenant who will pay and won't tear the new rehab up. 

Jerry, what area if you don't mind me asking? I'm a mailman and I've delivered almost every street in the zip code.

Hi Marck, I agree with some of the views on McKeesport. After living here all of my life, it's an area that would probably not give you the best ROI. Contact me if you want to talk further. Always here to help.

@Chris Nocera Mckeesport is very rough. Just know what you are getting into. There is a reason in such a sellers market that you can still get properties cheap in McKeesport. I am not saying you cant make money but just understand the dynamics of each investment and each area before you move forward.

Promotion
Sharestates
America's Private Lender
Receive Fix and Flip Funding Approval In As Little As 24 Hours!
Sharestates helps developers and brokers secure funding quickly with the most competitive terms.
Get Funded