Pittsburgh PA: Willing to Learn

11 Replies

Hi BP Community!

I am new to the site but have been listening to the Bigger Pockets Podcast and researching to familiarize myself with what it takes to enter this space. I have gotten to the point where I would like to find someone local to assist in the development of my real estate career. 

I have a partner who lives in Chicago that is finding a mentor as well. We are both former division 1 student athletes and earned our MBA following our senior season. 

I am currently living in Pittsburgh, PA working in the electrical distribution industry. I am currently renting an apartment and have made the decision to purchase my first property when my lease has ended. I will have a roommate who will pay rent towards the mortgage and has hopes of purchasing the property if I move out.  I am looking at single family homes that are located in between Robinson, Downtown, and Canonsburg. 

Any advice or responses would be greatly appreciated! if you would like to chat personally, don't hesitate to shoot me a message. 

Thanks! 

@Darien Terrell  

Welcome to BP. First off, I cannot be your mentor because my boyfriend and I are newbies as well.  Just wanted to connect because we are working on our first flip in Chicago (where we live) but I'm from Pittsburgh and want to invest there hopefully this year -- most likely rentals not flipping. 

Good luck with your ventures, would love to keep in touch. 

You should consider a 2-4 unit in your situation. Easier to cash flow and live for Free!

Welcome @Darien Terrell . There are lots of Pittsburgh area investors and BiggerPockets is a great place to get good information.

You may want to check out one of the RE investment clubs in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh REIA is a good group I belong to, but it's not the only one.

@Jamie Dietz , Thank you for the post. I have been looking into the Multi Family units but have had trouble finding some in decent shape around Pittsburgh. If you have any leads I'd love to hear. 

Originally posted by @Jay Belcher :

Welcome @Darien Terrell. There are lots of Pittsburgh area investors and BiggerPockets is a great place to get good information.

You may want to check out one of the RE investment clubs in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh REIA is a good group I belong to, but it's not the only one.

Thanks for the advice! I have only heard good things about REIA groups.

Originally posted by @Maria C Quimpo :

@Darien Terrell 

Welcome to BP. First off, I cannot be your mentor because my boyfriend and I are newbies as well.  Just wanted to connect because we are working on our first flip in Chicago (where we live) but I'm from Pittsburgh and want to invest there hopefully this year -- most likely rentals not flipping. 

Good luck with your ventures, would love to keep in touch. 

Hey Maria! Thank you for the response. Those are the two locations that we are thinking about. 

I would love to stay connected moving forward. Good luck in Chicago and stay warm!  

Hi @Darien Terrell , as previously stated, you should look into joining a RE Investment Group in your area. Besides Pittsburgh REIA, there is also ACRE. I'll be presenting at ACRE in May on Apartment Investing. I'd love to see you there. Make sure you introduce yourself if you're able to make it.

@Darien Terrell

Advice would be start networking with people that do what you would like to get started doing. Offer to help them to learn and keep moving. 

There's a lot of hurdles that you run into from time to time and talking to people that are where you want to be helps keeping you push forward!

The next piece of advice is just to get started. House hacking would be a good low barrier to entry way to do that. If you ever need anything don't hesitate to reach out to the community here! Best place to learn outside of the in person meetups. 

Originally posted by @Anthony Chara :

Hi @Darien Terrell, as previously stated, you should look into joining a RE Investment Group in your area. Besides Pittsburgh REIA, there is also ACRE. I'll be presenting at ACRE in May on Apartment Investing. I'd love to see you there. Make sure you introduce yourself if you're able to make it.

Nice to meet you Anthony and thank you for your post. I will definitely mark that down on the calendar! 

Originally posted by @Anthony Angotti :

@Darien Terrell

Advice would be start networking with people that do what you would like to get started doing. Offer to help them to learn and keep moving. 

There's a lot of hurdles that you run into from time to time and talking to people that are where you want to be helps keeping you push forward!

The next piece of advice is just to get started. House hacking would be a good low barrier to entry way to do that. If you ever need anything don't hesitate to reach out to the community here! Best place to learn outside of the in person meetups. 

Hi Anthony, thank you for your response! I am very fond of house hacking and I am currently going through the process of finding the right fit. I am looking for a single family to rent the room or duplex to get started.  

@Darien Terrell Stick to a purchase thats close to work to start. Pick an area thats not only going to give you the best cash flow but also look at the appreciation factor the school district and keep in mind cash flow isn't always the best motivator for an investment. There are many other variables.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here