Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Charleston Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Victor Medina
  • Long Beach, CA
Votes |
Summerville vs North Charleston (Neck Region)

Victor Medina
  • Long Beach, CA
Posted Jul 17 2018, 15:01

Hey all! I am currently looking to buy a house in the next month or so and have been torn on whether to invest in Summerville or Northern Charleston. 

The area in North Charleston that I am looking at now is by the neck region and has a property that already has tenants and cash flows to my liking (and potential to rehab for more) however the property does appear not to be in a well developed area (houses in the surrounding area are far from the "prettiest"). I've heard of a lot of development plans coming to the North Charleston region but am trying to get feedback on this forum about the area specifically around North Windsor Place. I feel like North Charleston can be a very big hit or miss spot so I'd like other investors opinions.

In Summerville, there is a 2/1 property I am eyeing that can be converted to a 3/1 or a 3/2 to get a substantial equity boost. The property will meet my cash flow criteria but lags behind the cash flow of the potential property in North Charleston. Seeing as this property isn't rent ready it will also require about 20-30K to fix it up (substantial) so it'd be an undertaking to get it ready.

So all in all I am comfortable with the numbers I can receive from both potential properties but my concern lies more with the location. With your knowledge of the areas would you invest in North Charleston by Windsor place for more of a potential cash flow play or Summerville for more of an instant equity play. 

Thank you in advance!

Loading replies...