How Did You Get Started in the Houston Market?

14 Replies | Houston, Texas

Hi,

I'm a newbie and would love to hear how some of you got started investing in Houston.  Seems like there are many options and anyone's practical insight is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Yes I stay in Athens Ga, but investing has no boundaries. First thing is get in the community of Real Estate investing. It is a language that you will have to learn, and you won't learn it from those that are now speaking fluently. If that makes sense lol. Good luck with your start, everyday is a journey learn what you can.

@Monti Bailey You just have to start somewhere. Just have your long-term goals in mind.

I started as Buy & Hold Investor, I have fix and flip, I got my Real Estate License and became an Investor-Agent specialized in a Single Family Homes and Small Multi-Family (2-4 units). 

I am still Buying Rentals and helping serious investors do the same. I am still flipping as needed.
Start with your short-term goals

Goodluck

Originally posted by @Monti Bailey :

Hi,

I'm a newbie and would love to hear how some of you got started investing in Houston.  Seems like there are many options and anyone's practical insight is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Was looking for a home to live in.  Was deciding between two.  Picked the one I liked more.  Agent said if I bought the other one as well she could lease it for me.  The #'s worked, so I bought both (that was 12? years ago, I still own it as a rental).

Light bulb went off.  "why doesn't everyone do this?"   So started looking specifically for rental properties to buy.  Found an 8 unit for sale.  The math isn't hard to figure out if money in > money out.  Those #'s worked so I bought it.  It's been game-on ever since. 

@Monti Bailey I got started by first doing tons of research.  I read several books, listened to more BP podcasts than I could count, and finally made the jump and purchased my first home to live in.  It was very intimidating at first, but once I went through it I realized it wasn't as difficult as I made it out to be.  

A bit of advice, if you think you are going to take the route of BRRRR try to figure out your plan immediately. I started networking and establishing relationships before I did my first investment deal. I had a private money lender who was interested in investing with me ready to go, and we had already discussed what the terms would look like beforehand. When the opportunity presented itself to me I had to make a decision within an hour, and close within 1 week! If I didn't have everything ready to go already, I would have missed out on the deal. It wound up being a great investment, and I was able to refinance and pay my private money lender with only 2k out of my own pocket. Be ready!