San Antonio Investments

9 Replies

I have read a few posts about investing in San Antonio.  I met up with a realtor who lives in the area, was shown a few homes. There are may new communities in the area, especially near 1604 and 90. 

Is it worth investing in the new builds? I notice DR. Horton and many other builders are building in San Antonio. Is it worth investing in the 78252 zip code? Trying to decide, the NW area seems strong but wondering about commute for renters.  

Any suggestions on zips to invest in? looking for buy and hold property - rentals.

@Shanair Mills We have had success renting houses in the area around 1604 and 90.  I haven't bought new for this purpose.  I look for an opportunity to create value by improving neglected properties that I can buy at a discount.  This is more difficult from a distance but not impossible.  Our houses inside and outside 1604 from 90 to Potranco have always had plenty of applicants.  We have great tenants.  Hope this helps a little.

Best of luck to you!

@Will Pritchett thank you for the feedback. It definitely helps. My concern was it seems that it would probably be best to look in the NE of San Antonio (Did not like what I was shown in that area though). But sounds like it will still attract renters in the SW. I’m still fairly new to investing..so need properties that are turnkey to generate funds that can be reinvested. Thanks again!

The problem with turnkey is that you do NOT generate funds. There is no cash flow from a property that you buy retail and try to rent. You have to at least meet the 1% rule. When you run the numbers, the property should be able to cash flow if you put no money down. You will probably put 10% or 20% down, but when you run the numbers beforehand you know you have a winner if it would cash flow with nothing down.

@Shanair Mills   turnkey is difficult.  I would agree that it's hard to cashflow on new builds or turnkey properties.  I have access to a few deals now that are pretty close to turn key, if you are interested please reach out.

Originally posted by @Shanair Mills :

I have read a few posts about investing in San Antonio.  I met up with a realtor who lives in the area, was shown a few homes. There are may new communities in the area, especially near 1604 and 90. 

Is it worth investing in the new builds? I notice DR. Horton and many other builders are building in San Antonio. Is it worth investing in the 78252 zip code? Trying to decide, the NW area seems strong but wondering about commute for renters.  

Any suggestions on zips to invest in? looking for buy and hold property - rentals. 

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you!

@Aaron Bihl mind elaborating in cash flow and new turnkey properties? I bought a new DR Horton home back in 2011 with 5% down. The mortgage was ~$1100 a month, but that house would easily rent for $1600 a month. I haven't considered buying new, but thinking about it now, why doesn't it work out?

Thanks.

@Matt Anding   Looking back, 2011 was a rough time for sellers. They probably had plenty of incentives to buy because there was not a bunch of buying going on in 2011. You would definitely NOT get that kind of deal right now. Buy on the dips. 2011 was one heck of a dip.

Hi there!  I would recommend to find some rentals close to downtown areas such as historical district and Alamo heights.  North end also has nice properties.  If you'd like to reach out PM me Jessica Gettle FB.  I have about 15 wholesale deals one that cash flows closer to 2% rule which is really rare