Skip to content
Dallas Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Zane M.
  • Carrollton, Tx
Votes |
Successful Mentor/Partner found in DFW area? What to look for?

Zane M.
  • Carrollton, Tx
Posted Oct 22 2017, 14:26

Like so many, I'm new to REI. Kinda. I've done a little but I've fallen into it more than intentionally went looking for it. Luck can't take you very far in anything.

I was curious what I should look for in a Mentor and/or a partner for the entire REI process (and probably the best places to look)? I know I'd like to be on my own at some point, and I have a GC willing to help me get started with the rehab portion but neither of us have done anything more than purchase our own residents.

I've begun the important connecting portion of the business and I'm far from done.  I know I'm several months out from making my first purchase, still consuming information and knowledge but I'm already trying to use the calculators, plan deals, ETC.  The problem is my numbers are so far off that I know I'm doing something wrong.  I'm using my own house purchases and sale experience since I know the costs in Texas are higher than many of the videos so those numbers would give me a false sense of security.

I still have a lot to read, a lot to learn, but having a guide say "start here" or even better yet "let me walk you through my last deal" would help so much more with the way I learn (Learn by doing and example).  All that said, how do I even tell the good ones from the bad ones?  There are sharks and con-men in every industry, just waiting to take money from a novice or naive person.  

I am planning on going to several meetups and events in hopes of making friends and hopefully people I can work with.  Is there any other way to find someone who might help point a newbie in a better direction?

--Zane

Loading replies...