• Investor
  • Austin
Votes |
Disputing Notice of Appraised Value For Property Tax

Mark Anderson
  • Investor
  • Austin
Posted Apr 25 2019, 15:06

Hi all, I just received my notice of appraised value for my rental property & had a few questions in regards to the process. I have been reading up & have confirmed that the information in regards to the property is all correct. In terms of the disputing, i have a few questions listed below

1. Dispute on value based on a Sales Comparison Approach= Does this mean a comparable sale on the market or does this mean a comparable residences assessed value by the county?

2. Disputing based on an Income Approach= Assuming this would be my income produced by my property. At what % of property value or cash flow would this be on a good base to dispute the appraised value?

3. Additional information to provide=  Would additional information be helpful for the dispute IE( the property hasn't had any permitted renovations since it was built, the properties value was increased by 27% last year and is being proposed to increase another 24% this year, i have an HUD government sponsored tenant, have units below market rent/ spent thousands on maintenance this year, is within the older development in the area & is adjacent to many larger newer multifamily communities that benefit from scale & shared amenities. 

4. Preferred avenue for dispute= I have seen that you can

-Appeal in person would you recommend this as a preferred route or any past experience?

-Submit via an efile which seems convenient if all information is provided correctly is this a preferred route or any past experience

-Have a 3rd party dispute for you for a portion of the savings. Would like to avoid the 3rd being that this is a $2,300 increase in annual property tax and would not want to split it. Unless the expertise is recommend to save the money

As always appreciate any advice & hope all of your assessments are going great!

Loading replies...