Skip to content
Austin Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Chris Schorre
  • Investor
  • AUSTIN, TX
Votes |
Cost of Builders Risk insurance policy. Why so much?

Chris Schorre
  • Investor
  • AUSTIN, TX
Posted Oct 9 2019, 05:50

Hi everyone, I just purchased a fixer in East Austin 78702 for $327K and plan to put about $100K into it. I called to get quotes from two agents on insurance for a six month period and both quotes came in around $1850 including liability coverage. I realize there are many more risks associated with vacant properties and especially ones under construction but I wonder if that's in line with what other investors have seen for insurance quotes. Many thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Nina Hayden
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dallas, Austin
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Dallas, Austin
Replied Oct 9 2019, 06:52

Did you call a major carrier?  Shop around. 

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Stokes
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 9 2019, 07:00

90% chance you will get broken into or vandalized at least once in East Austin doing a rehab. Gentrification comes with push back (Google "Defend Our Hoodz"). This group, others upset about influx of the affluent, plus the well known knowledge of many flips in the area attract a lot of unscrupulous characters to take advantage. While the number you listed may seem high, it is in line. Install a security system day 1 and tell your insurance you will have this to see if they will give a break. 

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Chris Schorre
  • Investor
  • AUSTIN, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • AUSTIN, TX
Replied Oct 9 2019, 09:35

Hi @Nina Hayden I did get quotes from Zurich and Foremost but will get another one. 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied Oct 10 2019, 07:53
Originally posted by @Chris Schorre:

Hi @Nina Hayden I did get quotes from Zurich and Foremost but will get another one. 

Chris, those 2 are the main options in the marketplace for Builders Risk policies.  

There are insurance programs out there for flipping that you could look at, but they are not a traditional Builders Risk policy like you are seeing from Zurich.  So if you don't want to pay for some of the additional coverage's Zurich is offering, then you should consider.

Another consideration, these Flipping programs are month to month, while with a traditional Builders Risk policy, you are locked into that time frame.  If you finish early, you don't get any of the unearned premiums back.

I'll send you a note on who most of my clients use.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Schorre
  • Investor
  • AUSTIN, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • AUSTIN, TX
Replied Oct 22 2019, 05:02

FYI, I ended up getting a policy through Foremost Insurance (through my Farmers Agent: Farmers owns Foremost) which was a FAR better deal than I first thought because the policy is for 12 months and includes liability. Also, unlike Zurich sells a "fully earned" (that's tricky insurance jargon for non-fundable) 6 month policy, Foremost is month to month. When you're done with your project, you cancel. 

I was initially considering NREIG and received an attractively priced quote from them but once I read the Google and Glass Door reviews, I deleted that quote. Horrifying. Anyway, I can recommend Foremost and have some inside knowledge that it's a good company as I worked at their HQ for 7 years.  

User Stats

Votes
Zambricki Li
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles CA + Lake Tahoe, NV and CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles CA + Lake Tahoe, NV and CA
Replied Apr 26 2023, 13:09

Finding this thread by Google search years after it was posted and appreciate the info. Of course, BP has the info. BP rocks.