Beginner investor: House hacking still possible in Austin?

4 Replies | Austin, Texas

My partner and I are recent high school graduates looking to become financially free through real estate house hacking and or house renting. We are doing our research, reading, and listening to a podcast informing ourselves as we save our money towards our first investment property. Any guidance or suggestions on how to get started as young investors would be highly appreciated! Thsnk you!

It’s wonderful to hear you guys being so young and interested in real estate!  I recommend continuing learning as much possible, meeting with a couple of trusted lenders and investor friendly-agent.  Is it possible to do what you’re wanting to do?  Sure!  If you have the funds/lending and came across a home that fits your numbers then go for it!  But aside from that it’s hard to tell you what you can or can’t do.  So I suggest get together with a lender so that he/she can begin to guide you with what you need to qualify for what you’re looking for.  

@Shannon Hernandez the advice from @Nina Hayden is great! I talked to a lender years before I bought my first househack as I had a terrible credit score and needed to get things together. Househacking in Austin is absolutely still possible you just need to be creative, flexible on area and realistic. You have to get a bit uncomfortable to live for free.

Hey @Shannon Hernandez

Congrats to you for your ambition! If you are looking to connect with someone for some guidance or advice, feel free to reach out. I also recommend you read this article I wrote for Bigger Pockets titled How to Invest in Real Estate Before Turning 21. Once you've read it, let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions. I am a high school teacher in Colorado and I am always looking to help young people get started in real estate investing or help in any way I can. Let me know if you want to chat sometime. https://www.biggerpockets.com/