American residing in Bangkok wanting to invest in the US

10 Replies

Hello BPers,

I have been an avid (mostly) lurker for about 1 year on Bigger Pockets. I am an American living in Bangkok for 10+ years and plan to return to the US (Colorado) in 4 years when my younger son graduates high school. I began investing in real estate last year in Colorado with the purchase of a high-end condo in Broomfield. It is appreciating well already in the awesome Denver-metro market and I have excellent tenants - cashflow, not so much yet but hopefully in a couple years it will look better than ever. It is what t is and at the time I was not at all educated on REI. The main benefit is that I have a family member who is an owner on the same site and is managing the property for me. Important since I am residing far far away,

My issue is that I have become smitten with REI and cannot wait 4 years when I return to the US to invest again. I have a full-time job in Bangkok and can certainly afford financing in the US for REI. I need something easier but with financial risk management, even if it means lower returns, than what is required to manage properties on-site in the US.

I wonder what people's experiences have been investing in turnkey real estate?  I have checked out @brieschmidt turnkey-reviews.com and know there is a community somewhere that understands my needs.

Have any of you had good or bad experiences with turnkey REI investment and property management companies that you would be willing to share? Or any other advice on how to intelligently invest in real estate (presumably to purchase a rental, but could also be a partnership on a flip deal) that you could provide?

Awaiting your responses in Bangkok!

@Judy Mitchell

Welcome to the posting side of BP!! It is always good to see someone with a different take on REI.

Are you able to invest in Bangkok?  I know nothing about that market beyond what I've seen on a few House Hunters type shows.

Investing back stateside is obviously a good idea if you plan on coming back this way.  I know that Colorado is a rough market at this point.  With lots of available cash, there are great deals to be had just about anywhere :)

Turnkey places have been a constant here on BP for a while.  @James Wise runs a business out of Ohio for turnkeys.  @Steve Lawson has another with properties in Indianapolis.  Plus there are tons of other folks here on BP looking for loans, JVs and/or partners.

Does your family member actively participate in REI beyond managing your Condo?

Thank you Aaron, for the response.

No, the family member is helping me out and I am grateful but am not sure about imposing further.  Or perhaps I will present an expanded version of the property management help as a family business opportunity.  I am pretty open at this point, although I am interested in finding cashflow and Colorado is not so great for that at the moment, particularly, again, when residing in Bangkok.

I am not sure if I properly tagged @brie schmidt before so I reference her here again. Her website and recent podcast with @Mark Ferguson was inspiring.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by @Judy Mitchell :

Thank you Aaron, for the response.

No, the family member is helping me out and I am grateful but am not sure about imposing further.  Or perhaps I will present an expanded version of the property management help as a family business opportunity.  I am pretty open at this point, although I am interested in finding cashflow and Colorado is not so great for that at the moment, particularly, again, when residing in Bangkok.

I am not sure if I properly tagged @brie schmidt before so I reference her here again. Her website and recent podcast with @Mark Ferguson was inspiring.

Thanks again!

I'm glad you liked the podcast! That was my first one. 

Mark Ferguson, http://Investfourmore.com | [email protected] | http://investfourmore.com | Podcast Guest on Show #68

@Judy Mitchell

- Thanks, I am glad I could help!  There are many great TK providers or partners out there.  My advice would be to find one that is a good personality fit that you trust.  That is the most important.

BTW - I will probably be back to Thailand for a month in January.  My step Mom is from Udon Thani so we have family all over Thailand.  I am not sure how long I will be in BKK for this trip though.  

Medium second city real estate logo   white close upBrie Schmidt, Second City Real Estate | [email protected] | http://www.SecondCity-RE.com | IL Agent # 471.018287, WI Agent # 57846-90 | Podcast Guest on Show #132

Sawasdee-Khrap, Khun Judy!  I lived in Thailand for 2 years so it has a special place in my heart. :)

I own a few properties in the greater Denver area although I don't live in Colorado and they have proven to be excellent investments.

The one question I would ask you is why not invest somewhere closer to home (e.g. another city closer say within a 50 mile radius of your current property) so that, perhaps, your family member could also watch after it.  At a minimum, when you do move back to Colorado, at least it will be relatively close so that you can check up on it.

I suspect that your answer would be that prices have gotten too high but I think if you looked closely in some markets outside of Denver, you might be able to locate something good.  Just a thought/suggestion.

Chok Dee!

@Brie Schmidt  What a coincidence!  Udan Thani is a nice place, and fun to have the easy opportunity chance to hop across the border to visit the Vientiane, Laos, area.  I have found myself there a couple of times and have a friend living there now.  If you find yourself with some time in Bangkok in January I would love to meet.  Just let me know.

@Aaron Montague Thank you as well for the turnkey tips.  I will check out the businesses you mentioned.

@Mathew Schroeder  Sawatdii kaa & Kap khun kaa- yes, I agree and would love to invest closer to my US Broomfield, CO, home base, however, living in The Kingdom here I feel rather handicapped at my ability to locate deals.   (And yes, I will tell you that my remote research shows me that even within a 1 hour driving distance the pickings seems awfully slim.)  Chok dee ka

Hi Judy, I'm also based in Bangkok - though not there for the next six weeks or so - and would be happy to chat further.

@Judy MitchellThinking of Thailand makes my mouth water! Great memories of Phi Phi island. I started buying US turnkey properties while I worked in Beijing. It can be done!

@Ian Fisher Sure - I would be happy to talk further.  Feel free to get in touch when you are back.

@Mark Schaffar - Ah...Koh Phi Phi:  the quintessential Thai island, with jaw-dropping photo ops at every turn.  Thanks for the encouragement on investing from Way Out-of-the area! I will be traveling to Beijing for the first time on a business trip (and am determined to carve out some leisure as well) later this year - I am very excited to finally see it.