Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
International Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Paul Moorhouse
  • Developer
  • Phuket
Votes |
Leasehold in Thailand

Anthony Paul Moorhouse
  • Developer
  • Phuket
Posted Dec 10 2008, 14:28

In Thailand in a condominium situation 49% of the units are freehold to foreigners meaning that 51% cannot be unless they are sold to Thais and in Phuket that is not the case, all or virtually all are sold to foreigners. As a result you end up with two different ownership situations in the same development, which is not a situation that is conducive to harmony of the owners. This is not unique at all as there are many countries in the world where foreigners cannot own freehold and landed property except in certain circumstances and these countries include Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Australia, India, Switzerland, Vietnam, Korea, Japan etc. etc

As a consequence in our situation we are NOT a condominium but are classed as an APARTMENT complex [REMOVED] and [REMOVED] (a different meaning in law) and as such we only do Leasehold but as previously explained we then give the Land Ownership Company to the owners themselves so they are leasing from themselves and become both the Lessor and Lessee, nothing could be safer! We set this situation up over 10 years ago and it has been signed off by Baker Mackenzie, Johnson Mathey and Stokes and Tilleke and Gibbins, 3 of the biggest and most influential regional law firms in Asia and now virtually every apartment development in Phuket, Samui and Hua Hin have copied our lead as being the most secure method of investment in property. The added benefit is that you not only own the strata title of the apartment (which you would only own under a freehold agreement) but you also own (together with the other owners) all the common areas, roads and land and facilities in fact everything within the land boundaries, to do with what you as a group of owners decide as you are the owners and landlords of everything not just your own apartment, this is not the case with a freehold condominium.

When you enter into a lease in Thailand it is registered at the land office and no one can take this away from you. A foreigner with a lease has exactly the same rights in law as a Thai citizen. If and when Freehold becomes available for all foreigners on all developments and/or the lease period is extended to 99 or 199 or 999 years as will definately happen in the not too distant future then it clearly states in the contract that each owner can move to the new situation at no extra cost except the additional registration costs if they so desire. This is my 5th development here in Phuket in the last 10 years and all are structured the same way and all owners (over 200) are delighted with their effectiveness and ease of operation.

There is no chance of the Lease holding company 'disapearing down the road at some point in the future' as this will be owned 100% and managed by ourselves (the 40 owners only) and I am sure that you will not throw it away, why would you when you all are in it for the same reason namely to enjoy your lifestyle and maximise your investment? I own 4 of the apartments in the complex myself and my partner owns 4 also and all under the same terms and conditions as every other owner and believe me if there was a better and more secure or beneficial way then we would be doing it! I can guarantee you that it is 100% safe and secure otherwise I would not have bought 4 for myself and neither would my partner, we would have sold them and taken the money instead but we believe they are a far better investment than money in the bank and so far we have been proved absolutely right.

Hope this gives some hindsight into leasing in the land of smiles

Loading replies...