• Banker
  • Toronto, Ontario
Votes |
Crowfunding for Real Estate In Canada

Darryl C.
  • Banker
  • Toronto, Ontario
Posted Nov 1 2017, 17:05

I know that this site (biggerpockets.com) is mainly for the US but I hope I can catch some interest. Actually, though I am from Canada I don't feel like the US is another country in some ways as both countries are on the same continent. Toronto and Vancouver's markets are as hot and as expensive as New York and San Francisco. The markets are overpriced but homes do sell quickly.

In terms of crowdfunding systems, I have seen "deals" where there is a low entry point for people to invest their money (as low as $1000 - at least in the US). In return, the investors get a certain percentage back (10% in some cases) after say 1 year - kind of like a GIC but with a much better return. I believe this would be considered debt financing but with the equity as security.

My first question is if anyone knows if a crowdfunding system exists for the market in Canada (as I sure would like to use it).

My second question is how I can get the financing for vacant land and to get funds for building the home? Could the same system be used? (Crowdfunding?) I would have to purchase the land and then get the financing for the build which I hope I could get all at once. I see an opportunity to buy land which is relatively inexpensive in the big city markets, build something and make a fairly good profit margin (30% to 50% if not more than I put into it). Thank you.

Note: Not asking for a Mentor, lenders, etc. Please point me in the right direction... I need advice! :-)

Loading replies...