User Stats

Votes
Melissa H.
Votes |
Investing in Canadian Property from the USA

Melissa H.
Posted Jul 1 2019, 23:03

Hey Bigger Pockets :)

My brother is a Canadian resident living in Montreal and I'm a US resident living in Los Angeles. We're looking into buying our first rental property.
We've found a condo in Montreal that meets our criteria and we're considering a purchase. 

We have been negotiating with the the seller and it's looking like we will get in under market :)

I'm looking for advice on how to best structure the purchase considering our citizenship and living differences.
What would be the best strategy for buying the apartment together considering I live in the US and he's in Canada?
Is anyone familiar with the tax implications? 

I would essentially be an international investor. 

Our plan : my brother will apply as the primary buyer, and get a mortgage through a Canadian bank.

We will split the 20% downpayment.

My brother is planning on creating a holding company that will own the property. We're thinking it will have tax benefits, reduce liability and protect our assets. After 2 years he will add me as the second shareholder of the company. We are also going to prepare a document that protects my capital / interest in the property should anything happen to him during the next 2 years. He's young but we're just being careful. 

Any advice regarding investing internationally / setting up a holding company / LLC for real estate, and what tax benefits are available, or anything pertinent are welcome :)

Thanks ;)

Loading replies...