Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 3 votes
Hello,
Has anyone came across an issue where there was foundation damage due to tenant neglecting to water the yard or failing to report a water leak / report developing cracks in the walls?
Can tenants be held responsible for that type of damage?
Burleson, TX · Member since 2009 · 37 posts · 33 votes
8y
I find it is better to owner finance my properties instead of rent them out because an owner occupant will always take better care of a property than a tenant. I think that is the only way you could get someone other than yourself to water the foundation- they actually have to be an owner with a vested interest in the house to do long term maintenance items like that.
Lender · TX · Member since 2018 · 936 posts · 713 votes
8y
@Christopher Ward I agree with everything being said above. You aren't going to be able to make them pay. I wouldn't leave something so costly in the tenant's hands. In regards to your questions about cracks in the walls or movement in the foundation, this would all be found out pretty easily during quarterly or semi-annual announced visits to the property. If you aren't doing this, start doing it. It will hold your tenants accountable and it will keep small issues from becoming big issues.