How to move to the states and invest hands on?

14 Replies

I’m a young guy from Belgium looking to invest/move to the states.

The market seems to be more fun out there with more possibilities than Belgium or any other country in Europe I would be interested in. On top of that, you guys have amazing mountains and ski resorts. I pretty much base my life around these things.

I’d like to move there so I can have a hands on approach on my investments. The obvious problem here is that I am not a US citizen or hold any visa of some sort. After reading up on more specific info about Belgians investing in the USA a lot of negativity rose up. Some of the classic points where made like “it’s impossible to get a visa”, “the taxes and fees will be trough the roof if you do so as a foreigner”’, “you might be denied acces to the country if you want to visit your property”, …

Nothing really helpful was found.

As I’m not just going to give up on my dream, I was hoping somebody here on Biggerpockets would be able to point me in the direction of a possible path I could follow.

Will I have to go trough the hard immigration process or can I come up with a creative solution?

Some side info:

- I have an Aunt living in Florida.

- working for an income in the states isn’t a necessity as I would be running a business in Belgium from abroad.

- Belgium is eligible for the 50K visa raffle (I’m feeling lucky)

Am I being too optimistic and is investing hands on in the US as a foreigner a pipe dream?I’m sure there must be a way, even if it’s a hard one.

Thanks!

PS: I've browsed the forums for a similar post but couldn't find my answers, maybe I missed it.

Look into EB 5 visas. You need to invest $500K and there is a requirement to create between 5 and 10 full time jobs depending on the investment and the area. Additionally, Canada has a similar visa program where I believe the investment is around $150K. They have great mountains and skiing there as well.

@Nicolas Paez thanks, I definitely will!
I've got a lot of love for Canada, especially BC. Since I'd be converting from Euros my initial purchase would be interesting but if I'm correct the market isn't quite as interesting as in the states.

You can do it with an E2 Visa but it can't be a passive investment.  Meaning, you just can't buy some rental properties and sit on them.  You must show that you need to be actively involved in the business, ie. property management, overseeing contractors, rehabs, etc.  The investment amount isn't as high as E5, but must be "substantial" and all at risk, in other words, you must demonstrate that you run the risk of losing it all.  

@Chad Urbshott thanks!
That sounds exactly like what I was looking for.
You just kickstarted my American real estate dream again.
I'm amazed how helpful this site can be.
Now if I can only figure the taxation part between the US & Belgium out I should be well on my way.

Hey @Benoit Roose , I'm in Antwerp for business, and trying to snoop around for RE investment. Do you wanna have a free beer and chat over RE?

Originally posted by @Benoit Roose :

Hey @Guyoz Golan, sounds great!

How long will you be around for?

At least until tuesday.. Im staying at the city center and lining up appointments and meetings. You could PM me your number, and see how it goes!

Originally posted by @Nicolas Paez:

Look into EB 5 visas. You need to invest $500K and there is a requirement to create between 5 and 10 full time jobs depending on the investment and the area. Additionally, Canada has a similar visa program where I believe the investment is around $150K. They have great mountains and skiing there as well.

Also I think the EB-5 visa(US version that is; not sure about Canada) limits the housing markets to only improverish. Therefore he wouldn't be able to invest in any thriving housing markets. You have to show that you are willing and able to build the local economy providing employment and housing to those in dire need. 

Kudos,

Mary 

There is another biggerpockets member, I believe it was Engelo Rumora, who I believe started investing in the US while only holding a tourist visa. I believe he was flipping houses with cash, which was fine according to US rules.

Exactly, I've listened to his podcast a while ago. It seems like it should definitely be possible with the right mindset. I'll have to figure out a way that I don't get taxed trough the roof though. I suppose I should go talk with a tax professional in belgium somewhere for more specific information.

Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden :

There is another biggerpockets member, I believe it was Engelo Rumora, who I believe started investing in the US while only holding a tourist visa. I believe he was flipping houses with cash, which was fine according to US rules.

Thanks for the mention Anthony,

It sure is a fine line with US immigration and one must be very careful how they go about business.

Only allowed to sign a contract to buy and sign a contract to sell on some visa lol

Can't even go to Home Depot to buy materials as that is classified as taking away jobs from US citizens :)

Thanks and have a great weekend.

I bought my first flip on an E3 visa. I never knew there were any limitations. 

Hi Benoit,

I'm just new to this blog and read your post.

How did it work out for you? Did you move to the States?

Actually, I'm also Belgian and looking at doing the same on E2 visa

Frederic

hey Frederic.

After doing some research on the E2 visa I found that you can apply for one starting at a 100K investment. I will attempt to jump in at the end of 2016. Best of luck to you!

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide