Skip to content
Foreigners Buying in the USA

User Stats

Votes
Lisa P.
  • Melbourne, Victoria
Votes |
Companies helping Australians into the US market - any good?

Lisa P.
  • Melbourne, Victoria
Posted Oct 23 2016, 04:02

Hello 

I’ve started to look into investing in US property, but am wary given how many other Australians have reported being burned.  Thanks to BP I think I understand the process well enough, but I'd rather not do it on my own.  I don't plan to do any kind of renovation - my strategy would be buy and hold only.

I’ve come across a few sites/services (most claiming to be Australian) who offer services for Australians getting into the US market.  I don't know if I'm allowed to name them here, but a Google Australia search of “invest in US property” brings up several such companies.

As far as I can tell, what they're offering is referrals to local accountants, lawyers, insurers, turnkey providers, estate agents, banks, financiers etc.  Or else they just tell you the process and "help" you with it. Some have some of their own properties for sale, others have "example" properties and say they can "source" others.  Most don't say what their fees are, but the couple that do are around US$1-2K.  Presumably they also get commissions from referrals.

I like the idea of a one-stop shop and/or advice, but given other people's bad experiences I'm not sure if these services are any good or not.

Has anyone had any experience of these kinds of companies? Are they any good?  Are there any to avoid? Are they worth the money?

Thanks!

Loading replies...