• Investor
  • Redmond, WA
Votes |
Figuring Expenses on Multi Family Properties

Ted Klein
  • Investor
  • Redmond, WA
Posted Dec 24 2016, 20:02

I have been analyzing many deals in the Puget Sound region and am having a hard time finding deals that make sense on the MLS. I am using the BP rental property calculator for my analysis and am allowing for everything including property management expenses.

I am concentrating my search in C to B- properties and could use some advise on what is reasonable for expenses. I am thinking that I may be overestimating my expenses as the BP calculator uses a % of the gross monthly rent. Should I be using a hard number per door?

I understand each property is unique and that older properties will likely have higher expenses so the number that I use would be dependent on the age of the property. I have read about people estimating their expenses based upon the useful life of the cap ex items, roof, hvac, appliances etc...

However, when analyzing properties this information isn't available. What would be a good method to determine what a properties expected capex expenditures would be when analyzing properties for consideration?

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Britton
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Dec 25 2016, 01:18

@Ted Klein I have spent hundreds of hours attempting to estimate repair costs based on certain independent variables, such as the age of the home, size, number of bedrooms and bathrooms, etc., for SFR. And while I believe I have found an accurate measure, it is never the end-all figure.

It is even more difficult to estimate repair costs and ongoing maintenance with multifamily properties.  Therefore, you may have to employ a two-stage analysis in these cases.  Stage one is simply to ascertain if it looks good on paper with little or perhaps even zero amount allocated towards capital expenditures.  If everything checks out on paper, perhaps by a certain margin, then the property is worth a drive-by or perhaps even interior showing, which would be stage 2.

You could also assume that the property needs a certain amount of repairs per square foot upfront, followed by an ongoing amount, again by square foot.  For instance, you could assume that anything in King County built before 1978 will require no less than $15 per square foot of repairs over the course of the first year, the vast majority of which will have to be done in front.  Then, assume $1 - $2 per square foot going forward at some kind of  steadily increasing rate.  For instance, assume that in year two you will need $1.50 per square foot, and  tack on an extra $.50 per square foot for each year thereafter.  For properties built after 1978, assume a minimum of front of $10 per square foot in immediate repairs required.

I should also point out that while one or two dollars per square foot may not seem like a lot, most multifamily properties can be upwards of 4000 – 5000 square feet.  So I can add up quickly and provide a very nice buffer zone.

Every individual investor will have their own methodology for calculating expenses.  Some people include their financing costs, some people include capital expenditure as a percentage of gross rental income (I never found this one reasonable since usually higher-end properties that command higher rent are treated better and cared for better than lower rental income properties), and then there are some people who assume that your expenses are limited to taxes, insurance and owner-paid utilities.  There is no right or wrong answer, is ultimately up to you and how much of a buffer against unexpected costs you want to have.  

Lastly, even if there was a fool proof method to estimating all your expenses, there is no way to predict the human element.  What sort of damage or issues a tenant could inflict is incredibly difficult to foresee. 

I know this wasn't the answer you're looking for but I hope it still helps somewhat.

User Stats

Votes
Ted Klein
  • Investor
  • Redmond, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Redmond, WA
Replied Dec 25 2016, 08:37

Pat, this is exactly what I was looking for. I understand that there is no way of knowing up front, but I like your two stage approach. I had considered an up front expense at acquisition but the on going maintenance being a percentage of gross rents seemed like it is just another capex buffer. I will still estimate a monthly capex, however, the initial acquisition maintenance should cover you for awhile. I like the idea of setting funds aside but am looking for suggestions to better estimate the ongoing expenses. On my previous property there was rarely any monthly occurrences, just the occasional refrigerator or ac service call. I will try your method to see if anything pencils out. If anyone else has ideas or suggestions I'd like to hear what others are doing.

Thanks

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Tatiana Gershanovich
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Dec 25 2016, 12:49

@Ted Klein I just want to add that you have hard time finding deals on MLS that make sense because most of the deals on MLS don't make sense. That's the reality of Puget Sounds region nowadays. Establish connections with wholesalers or do your own marketing to find properties off market.

Also, a lot of multi families are not on MLS and get passed from one agent to another, so find yourself a good commercial RE agent who has a good presence in multi family space and work with him.

User Stats

Votes
Ted Klein
  • Investor
  • Redmond, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Redmond, WA
Replied Dec 25 2016, 13:41

I do see that anything on MLS doesn't work. I have started attending the local Meetups hoping to network with others who can help. I have reached out to a couple of wholesalers, however, I have not yet found a commercial RE agent. Any contacts would be greatly appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Timoteo Guy
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Dec 30 2016, 13:53

@Ted Klein If you are looking for duplexes directly around the sound you are not going to find much. Driving for those off market deals will work. However, most of them have either been contacted already or they are still accepting the fruits of their rentals. Your best bet is to start expanding north & South for those duplexes.