• Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
How to dance around Sec. 8 requirements in Seattle & WA

Peter Nelson
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Posted May 13 2018, 20:56

Seattle currently includes 'source of income' as a protected class when considering tenant applicants.  On Sept. 30 a new WA state law will expand that to the entire state.  

At our property management company we are now writing all of our leases as 10-month leases, with 12-month renewals for those who want to stay and qualify.  Sec. 8 currently will not sign a 12-month lease.

I accepted Sec. 8 for 25 years.  I figured a good tenant screening process should be blind to source of income.  While I got my teeth kicked in a few times in the early going, that decision forced me to be very keen on how to accurately screen for good and bad tenants.  It took about 8 years, but I got it figured out.

4 years ago program requirements at Sec. 8 forced us out of the program.  We simply got tired of arranging for inspections, then replacing perfectly good handrails because they weren't the proper height, and so on, and so on.  When this market slows down we may reconsider.  But for now it is a lot less hassle not dealing with it.

Loading replies...