Skip to content
Seattle Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Putnam
Votes |
Sell and relocate, stay the course, or other options?

Aaron Putnam
Posted Dec 10 2018, 22:24

Hi BiggerPockets!  I'm new to the site and to RE investing, but have been reading everything I can get my hands on.  I'd love to get some opinions on what I'm thinking.

I bought a 2br/1.5ba townhouse (~1000 sf) when I moved to Seattle in 2001, in the greenlake area - a couple blocks from the lake. Zillow estimates around 630k value, and I owe 85k on it. I paid 290k when I bought, so if I sell I'll be over the 250k profit and will have to pay some capital gains. If I were to rent it out I'd say I could get 2800. There's no HOA, just an agreement to split the cost of exterior paint and roof work. Some of the units are definitely rentals.

I also own a home outright in eastern WA in the Omak area, which was an inheritance.  I've been using that house to learn about home renovations - as well as learning how hard it is to find contractors (to say nothing of the quality of them).  After I finish the renovations it should be in the 200k range.

A few things I've been considering:

1. The house is pretty close to the Roosevelt light rail station which is supposed to open in 2021, which may give me more appreciation.

2. Any additional appreciation will result in more cap gains tax, and with the market softening it may not happen anyways.

3. Renting the place out would cover the mortgage and put a little cash flow in my pocket, but renting it out for such a low % of its current value seems less than ideal.

4. Selling the place and using the proceeds to start buy-and-holding properties that DO 1% is very appealing, but I've been scouring the MLS and not seeing that anywhere nearby.

5. Maybe it's time for me to relocate, my day-job has the benefit that I can do it from anywhere as long as my internet is solid.  Some good friends have already left town, as have several family members, so this wouldn't be a great hardship - though picking a location would be challenging.  

As for my goals, I'd like to supplement and eventually replace my 'day job' income with passive income from real estate.  I don't have an exact number here but after maybe 8k per month I'd feel comfortable walking away from the job.

Sorry for the brain dump here, it's nice to get it all written out and I'd very much appreciate any feedback!

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Loading replies...