Kirkland and Seattle - best area for a family?

18 Replies

My family is relocating to Seattle, they are currently renting a nice house house in Kirkland not far from Google.

They are wondering where they should buy with value in mind? They are looking for a larger single family home in a great community.

What are some great areas that are not totally overpriced for crappy, tiny houses?

There are a lot of great neighborhoods in and around Seattle and the Eastside. Are they wanting to stay within a certain proximity to their work, do they need to consider schools? The price point they want to stay within will also make a big difference...I'm happy to help them if I can ask a few more questions! ~Brie

@Marcus Auerbach

Bothell, Lynnwood and Monroe have homes at affordable prices. With the hot Washington market all of the house near google are million dollar plus range.

Would they be open to a condo or townhouse?

Or having a longer commute?

If they mover further north to Lake Stevens or Marysville they will have a bigger selection for half the Kirkland prices.

Don't forget about Mukilteo! It's where I grew up and am now an agent/investor in the area. Great for families and fantastic schools. Parts of Edmonds and Lynnwood are nice as well. Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'd love to help!

I grew up in Edmonds and currently live here near downtown. It's a really nice town with great beaches, schools, resturants and a friendly community. The prices here just like everywhere are insane. We are within 25-30 minutes to downtown Seattle. We also lived in dt Snohomish and loved that place as well. 

Mill Creek and Lake Stevens are two areas that have great school systems and are perfect for families. Lake Stevens is going to be more affordable than the Kirkland and Mill Creek areas. Mill Creek has the town center that is a cool spot for dining and shopping. 

Depending on their budget and needs. They may be able to find opportunities in Bothell, which should keep them close to Kirkland. For cheaper, I would consider Lynnwood and Mill Creek. It is hard to answer this question without knowing their budget, commute destinations, interest in schools, etc.

@Marcus Auerbach

Snohomish. By far the best area in Snohomish County. Nice down town and surrounding hillsides (Dutch, Lords, Fobes). City and county has curbed growth and lots of houses outside city limits are on acreage. I love living here...

11/24/2020

Marcus – thanks for the post

If getting into the Google campus in downtown Seattle or Bellevue will be important- you will want to be relatively close ( within 10-15 miles ) as traffic is normally brutal …right now traffic is fine and who knows what and when it will be back to the crush it was pre covid

The budget they have will be crucial to provide feedback as well …..if the max price is 600K - that’s one thing ..if the budget can be 1.2 mill , that’s another

Thanks

Dave Skow

Your budget has to be known to really answer the questions. I am in Lake Stevens and it is a great area. Prices are still highly competitive, but obviously much lower then down south. We are seeing "typical" houses easily doing over $500k, with a few new houses just hitting the Million Dollar mark. It's crazy! The commute from here is a killer however. I would HIGHLY suggest doing the commute at the correct time to know what you are getting into. That alone could be the deal breaker. Just going down to Mill Creek or Bothel will cut your drive by a lot! I have heard that Mill Creek is a pretty nice area with a little "buffer" from Seattle. Good Luck.

@Marcus Auerbach , it really depends on many factors. Do they want to stay close to the Google campus or its bus routes? Do they have a preference for the school district? What about the price range? many other factors. 

Feel free to ask them to reach out and I can help them.

Best of luck!

Thanks everyone for your responses! They loved reading all the comments. They asked me to check if anyone can provide more information about the areas around Kirkland and Bellevue and around the lake Sammamish? They would also be curious to know if Mercer Island is a good long term investment area to consider. He works in Redmond, closer to downtown. Budget is up to 2.5m (which is their max) but they'd really prefer to stay under 2m. Good school districts are important as well.

that  budget  will   work  for those areas .....Mercer island is  very  solid  investment too ...make sure they are  pre approved  before they start looking  ( assuming they need a loan ) 

I liked Tukwila, which is just south of Seattle. Outside of Seattle City Limits, outside of the crazy dictates City Council, spineless Mayor Durkan, and the commuting Antifa and BLM rioters that commute between Portland and Seattle. You would be right next door to Sea-Tac so you have easy access to a major transportation hub. I've attended conferences at both the Hilton, Doubletree, and Marriott and have never been disappointed. They have the Southgate Shopping Center with wonderful selection of shopping, dining, and entertainment. Some of the best medical centers in the state, usually satellites of Seattle Medical Centers. Good Schools. It is a working community, built for working people.

@Marcus Auerbach  I would throw in Shoreline.  Personal experience - my wife and i bought a property here as primary residence that needed some rehab.  We were comfortable doing the rehab and got to pick the finishes we wanted AND also (based on redfin estimates which i know are not always totally right), have already seen upside.  With the light rail pending and some more migration out of Seattle, we feel there is upside in the purchase.  Additionally, Shoreline is good for families (our cul de sac has about 20 kids of all ages living there) and the school system is good as well.  Relatively "affordable" vs. other areas that are mentioned above. Not sure the comfort level of rehabs but if they're willing to do that, there are several options in Shoreline area that can provide some value. 

For reference, the specs on our house are 3BR, 2.75BA, 1800 sq ft.  There is a bonus room in garage (I plan on using as gym), 7500 sq ft lot.  We have a 2.25 y/o son and expecting another on the way, and this space is more than enough for our family today (we lived in a 1BR/1.5 BA 987 sq ft until now, so this is a nearly double!)

Originally posted by @Marcus Auerbach :

Thanks everyone for your responses! They loved reading all the comments. They asked me to check if anyone can provide more information about the areas around Kirkland and Bellevue and around the lake Sammamish? They would also be curious to know if Mercer Island is a good long term investment area to consider. He works in Redmond, closer to downtown. Budget is up to 2.5m (which is their max) but they'd really prefer to stay under 2m. Good school districts are important as well.

If he is working in Redmond, I highly recommend the Redmond, Kirkland, Sammamish, and Woodinville areas. Kirkland is great if they want to be close to the city life and the others are great for the suburb life, but close to the city. They could potentially get lake front property as well within their budget. Mercer Island is locked in by I-90, which gets a ton of traffic. I personally wouldn't want to fight the I-90/405 interchange twice a day once commuting is back to normal. It's a beautiful area though.