West vs. East of Stevens pass

6 Replies | Seattle, Washington

Hello everyone,

I posted below on an introductions section and realized it would be more appropriate here lol. 

I am a newbie investor looking to buy a summer home in the cascade Mts (in Washington) that can be used as STR during our vacancy. Wife (i.e the boss) and I are exploring mountainous towns in the cascade mountains and would like some inputs from the locals to explain the difference between west (i.e. Gold Bar, Skykomish) vs. east of stevens pass (leavenworth, lake wenatchee) ? Looks to me like leavenworth is very touristy, which is opposite of what we want. I am from out of town and do not know these areas in detail but am told that east rains less than west for example ? Can some locals confirm this ? Any other difference would be appreciated such as desirability, crime, rentability, amenities etc

Looking forward to your responses.

west of pass  is  likely   less  expensive and less  desirable ...east of pass  more  desirable ....... consider   the   Index  vicinity  if  staying west 

Originally posted by @Dave Skow :

west of pass  is  likely   less  expensive and less  desirable ...east of pass  more  desirable ....... consider   the   Index  vicinity  if  staying west 

Thx Dave for that. I've been told that as well. Can you be more specific ? Is it due to more rainfall ? Just more seedy with drug problems ? etc

Chelan county (Leavenworth, Lake Chelan, etc) has an indefinite moratorium on all new STRs. 

I don't do STRs, just know the regs of the area you choose. 

My biggest concern when looking West of Stevens Pass is that you need to pay attention to where the train in running. I've stayed in rentals in Skyhomish and the passing trains are loud. That being said, there are nice areas along the river and there are some hiking trails.

East of Stevens you have lakes, rivers, and more trails. Leavenworth is touristy, but you don't feel that outside of Leavenworth. Properties East of Stevens tend to be more expensive. 

Thank you for everyone's input. I appreciate the train noise situation as that is a deal breaker for us. Looks like East is the way to go for most people it seems despite the cost. It's too bad because west tends to be cooler in the summer I am told (though more rainy) and that is a huge plus for me and my wife.