Eviction moratorium in WA

13 Replies

Does anyone know if the eviction moratorium expiring on Decemeber 31, 2020 still?  Are we able to give rent increases notices now to start in January or February?  Ideally, I would like my tenants to move out because they are trashing the place .

Eviction moratorium is set to expire BUT in my opinion there’s a 99% chance it’s extended. During this time you can NOT deliver any notice of a future rent increase. Check out the Rental Housing Association of Washington website. They have lots of great info and I’d encourage becoming a member especially if you self manage. Good luck. 

Originally posted by @Nik Moushon :

Inslee will extend it. Do you really think he would lift it in the middle of winter?

A quarter says he'll extend on Dec 30th.  Maybe a grace period and not extend until the 28th. LOL

I've been referring to him as 11th hour Inslee.  It did help me put pressure enough to get someone to move when he didn't extend the July 31st deadline until like July 29th.   She thought I had her. 

The October 15th deadline wasn't extended til late either. 

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :
Originally posted by @Nik Moushon:

Inslee will extend it. Do you really think he would lift it in the middle of winter?

A quarter says he'll extend on Dec 30th.  Maybe a grace period and not extend until the 28th. LOL

I've been referring to him as 11th hour Inslee.  It did help me put pressure enough to get someone to move when he didn't extend the July 31st deadline until like July 29th.   She thought I had her. 

The October 15th deadline wasn't extended til late either. 

"11th hour Inslee" is about the most appropriate name you can give him. lol I dont give any hope to him lifting it until the summer...at the earliest. 

Originally posted by @Jeremy Benson :

Does anyone have any stats on how the moratorium is affecting your rentals in Washington? ie percentage of late or no-pay tenants pre and post moratorium 

Just speaking for myself,  the only difference is a slow pay (but current) rate of 2/33. Normally thus would be 1/33. 6% slow vs a normal 3% slow. 

I had the 3% default (1/33) but got her out at the 11th hr of the July 31 deadline.  She was a mistake to begin with and not directly related to corona.

I'm talking with a couple sellers now.  They are 50% no pay in their duplexes.  One at $1700/mo, $12k behind as of last month.  Nick McLean property mgt at its finest. 

Plus their lower unit tenant just moved out.  But at least it's on a busy street and they still want retail if they sell.  LOL 

Originally posted by @Jeremy Benson :

@Brian Hughes

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It’s been interesting finding the balance between what’s been reported nightly by the talking heads and what’s actually happening in the marketplace.

It looks like the apt vacancy rate across Seattle and the PNW are at about 8.6%, the highest since 2009.

Kathy Fettke had a short segment on 'millennial flight ' from expensive downtown apts in these times of telecommuting , but the draw to living in the heart of vibrant cities is expected to return. 

Would be interesting to hear from  a larger downtown apt mgr /owner to speak on their collection loss slow/no pay rate.  Small sample sizes like what we speak about isn't the full picture of course and is region-specific. 

@Svetlana Helms , all my tenants are paying, but sometimes a few days late.

We are expecting the moratorium to be extended. Covid cases are still high, and we are not expecting the moratorium to end in winter. 

I also don't expect the moratorium to be lifted until at least summer. I wish they would freeze property tax increases since we can't raise rent. Our renters have been paying all this year but were late for 3 or 4 months because the husband got laid off for that time, but they did pay in full so we are caught up.

The eviction moratorium has been extended to 3/31/2021. Regarding any rent increase its illegal and punishable to increase rent, threaten to increase rent or even mention a rent increase is looming. Its pretty crummy really when the state will soon be on there second property tax increase and land owners are allowed to recoup costs. I have called the governor and told his office fine. I will just continue to sell rental properties and put these folks on the street. Been a great time to sell anyways. I do know any properties I do have when this expires I will be giving massive rent increases, like 15-20%. If they move they move. far better opportunities in the market currently with far less hassle.