• Investor
  • Brockville, Ontario
Votes |
Looking for a suggestion for a good Mortgage Broker to work for

Mitchell P.
  • Investor
  • Brockville, Ontario
Posted May 8 2017, 18:43

I'm signing up to write my mortgage agent course and I'm looking for suggestion on which Mortgage Broker I should apply to work for. 

I'm looking for a broker with no desk fees preferably, high ratio payouts (80/20, 75/25 etc), will cover O&E insurance and will help me go through all the steps selling my first few mortgages.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm looking at Dominion (high desk fees) and Expert Mortgage (which looks pretty good).

Any info on starting in the industry, in general, would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks- Mitch

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell P.
  • Investor
  • Brockville, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brockville, Ontario
Replied May 10 2017, 20:14

anyone?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied May 10 2017, 20:56
Originally posted by @Mitchell P.:

anyone?

Mentioning a few things likely to ping a Keyword Alert might help.

Onatrio Canada mortgage

• Lender California (#1220177)

CommLoan Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ian Agard
  • Toronto, Ontario
Votes |
  • Toronto, Ontario
Replied May 19 2017, 19:46

Hey Mitchell,
Congrats on taking the steps towards getting your mortgage agent. I currently work as a mortgage agent with Dominion Lending (for 2 months). I enjoy working with them because of their strong brand awareness in the marketplace. Mortgage Architects is another brokerage I've heard good things about.

-Ian

User Stats

Votes
Cody L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, Ca
Votes |
  • San Diego, Ca
Replied May 19 2017, 20:36

IMO that's a dying business. If you work for a place that just does generic conforming loans, there is no value add. More and more of that will be online and automated.

I'd look elsewhere personally.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Perez
  • Hamilton, Ontario
Votes |
  • Hamilton, Ontario
Replied Oct 6 2017, 04:43

@Cody L. I agree there will certainly be some digital disruption. But mortgages (especially in Canada, can't speak for US) are very complicated, and getting a deal done now a days isn't as simple as clicking a few buttons and submitting a few documents.

In addition, there's a lot to learn in terms of choosing the right solution (a lot gets put on the rate & variable vs fixed) but there's about 10 other significant factors than add to the bottom line. 

@Ian Agard As an agent my best advice is make sure you're legitimately adding value to your clients and partners in some way. A lot of agents want to be buddy buddy with everyone and expect business. That's a big reason why there's so much failure in the industry.