2014 REI Expo

18 Replies

Hey BP!

Just curious to know if there is anyone who has already gone or plans to go to the REI Expo this year?

There was one in Dallas (DFW area) on Jan 25-26 2014

The dates to come are:

Washington, DC - May 17-18, 2014

Chicago, IL - July 26-27, 2014

Anaheim, CA - November 1-2, 2014

I am going to the one in DC (on Sunday only, because I am graduating on Saturday [Hooray!!] ), because that is in driving distance for me. I think it would be nice if we could have a strong BP contingent there and use it as an informal meetup, learning session and BS detector, if necessary.

What do you think @Joshua Dorkin and @Brandon Turner ??

Does anyone know anything about this conference or have attended in the past that can give any insight on what kind of event this will be? I am only familiar with a few of the presenters on the schedule so I don't know what kind of event this is going to be.

Thanks!! I hope to see some of you guys/gals there!

::Disclaimer:: [I am in no way affiliated with this event or any of its' organizers and post this only for informational purposes to the rest of the community]

I went to the one in DFW. It was good. Was basically like a giant REIA.

I found it good for networking. Met a lot of folks I wouldn't be able to meet otherwise, unless I wanted to spend my time going to every REIA in town.

I'd be surprised if you didn't come out of it with some useful info or a few contacts.

That sounds great!!

I'm looking forward to it!

As far as the content of the presentations is concerned, were they mostly actionable content? Or were they "I'll show you the tip of the iceberg, but to know how to implement this, you'll have to buy my course for $997"?

Thanks for your reply @Joe Butcher !!

I know nothing, @Mooro El but when you get back, let us know how it was!

Will do @Brandon Turner !! Maybe I'll make a user blog post about it or something of that nature to tell the community all about it! :)

Curious to hear from anyone who has attended this in the past and what it was like?

Joe B - Can you tell us a little bit about the format? Was it more about the training? Networking? Selling? Who was a typical speaker?

I'd consider attending, but the website wasn't detailed enough for me to determine if it would be a good use of time (and money)...

Those are exactly the same kinds of questions I was curious about @J Scott ...

I bought a ticket anyway. I know I'm taking a gamble but hopefully it's worthwhile.

I do know this; Some of the speakers there have been speakers at one of the REIA's in VA and about 80% of the REIA meetings I have been to of theirs is pretty sales-ey and the President of the REIA sends out emails almost every day with the basic agenda of "you NEED a mentor, join my coaching program!!"

That's only circumstantial evidence, but it is something...

If all else fails, hopefully I can get some good networking out of it and wear my earplugs during the sales pitches...

Here's the list of speakers:

http://www.reiexpo.com/washingtondc-2014-speakers/

Also, upon doing some more research, one of the speakers gives a video podcast about the Dallas Expo that I'm listening to as we speak. And he does at least give a 25% discount for admission in his show notes that I wish I had known about when I bought my ticket, so that MIGHT make the whole thing worth it even if it is a pitchfest... Maybe...

Please share more detailed information @Joe Butcher

Thanks!

@Mooro El

Ok. In the main ballroom there were vendors set up ( HML's, Realtors, Investor friendly RMLO's, contractors etc....very similar to what you may see at some REIA's, except on a larger scale. People were walking around, networking, etc, once again just like at many REIAs, except on a larger scale. It was good for networking.

Technically there is not supposed to be any "pitching" but just like anything else there are ways of "soft pitching" and being that people in this business want to make money, that's what I expect to some extent.....nothing out of the norm there.

IMO, if you're a very experienced investor, I doubt any of the speakers are going to be telling you anything mind-blowing, but you never know.

@J Scott you would make a better speaker than an attendee.

For me, it's more about the networking.

I don't know what else to say....it's fairly straightforward.

Thanks for the follow up @Joe Butcher !!!

That's exactly the information that I was looking for. Networking is what I'm most interested in and I am also interested to see what vendors are there.

If there isn't supposed to be any pitching, that's fine. I can tolerate the "soft pitch"... It's that "the first 10 people to follow me to the back of the room AND buy my $10k course can qualify to win a new Lamborghini!!" kinda crap that makes me sick to my stomach. Lol.

Seeing as how I am not an experienced investor by any means, the speakers will probably share some things I'm not aware of, so that might be a plus as well.

I definitely think @J Scott should try to become a speaker at REI Expo 2015! :)

Thanks again for the review. I/we appreciate it!

Disclaimer: I work for the REI Expo

If you have never been to the REI Expo, I would suggest giving us a chance. @Joe Butcher is correct that there is no selling from the stage. The guidelines we give our speakers are that they have an hour long presentation that needs to be content rich and 100% educational. After that hour, there is a 15 minute Q/A where they are allowed to give a brief description of services and direct you to their booths for more information. If we hear complaints that there is heavy selling going on we will physically go into that room and listen, if we can confirm that the speaker is abusing the stage, we will end the presentation, and not allow that speaker back to future expos. So technically you could say that every breakout is 90% content/education.

@Mooro El The REI Expo has a place for every experience level of investor. We welcome beginners and experts alike. The one common denominator is that everyone is actively pursuing a Real Estate Investing Career. So while the networking is EXTREMELY important, the classes are there to help you further develop your skill level as an investor.

The most important goal of the REI Expo is to provide a no pressure, positive environment where individual investors can grow, network, and expand their business. Our mission is to introduce potential & existing real estate investors to all areas of the industry in a positive environment to include products, courses, legislative awareness, strategies, and technologies.

Check out the video below. [REMOVED]

I believe there are other threads on site that discuss this event as well . . .

I went to the REI expo in Anaheim last novemeber - there was a lot of great speakers who covered a wide range of good topics (hotel investing, notes, REI clubs....etc). I think it's worth checking out

Thanks for your backstage insight @Ryan Harper

Sounds like a great place to network and advance your skills as an investor! I look forward to it. Hopefully I can find someone who will be able to catch me up on all the information I will be missing on Saturday due to my graduation.

Thanks for your review @Zaid R.

I will definitely be in attendance!! It seems like it will be a great place to network and ramp up my business.

@J Scott I believe you will be speaking at this event correct? If so do you think it will be video taped so that those of us that cannot attend can watch at a later date. @Ryan Harper

Originally posted by @Eddie T. :
@J Scott I believe you will be speaking at this event correct? If so do you think it will be video taped so that those of us that cannot attend can watch at a later date. @Ryan Harper

Yes, I will be speaking at the event, but I don't know if it will be video taped or not...sorry...

The price is very reasonable: Early bird/pre-sale tickets are only $75 and even the most expensive ticket is $200 according to the web site. the website boast of access to over 50 classes and over 70 exhibitors and states that all classes are included.

When I click on the list of speakers, nothing comes up for the Chicago Expo in July.

If J. Scott is planning to be a speaker, then I will be sure to attend!

@J Scott: Will you be speaking at the Chicago Expo or a different location?

Originally posted by @Sandy Uhlmann :

@J Scott: Will you be speaking at the Chicago Expo or a different location?

I was scheduled to speak in Washington, DC this past weekend. Unfortunately, I got sick and lost my voice on Friday and wasn't able to give my presentation.

That said, the feedback I got about the event was great. I know a couple of other people who spoke, and given their success in the industry, I have a feeling the material presented was tremendously worthwhile.

Originally posted by @Mooro El:

Hey BP!

Just curious to know if there is anyone who has already gone or plans to go to the REI Expo this year?

There was one in Dallas (DFW area) on Jan 25-26 2014

The dates to come are:

Washington, DC - May 17-18, 2014

Chicago, IL - July 26-27, 2014

Anaheim, CA - November 1-2, 2014

I am going to the one in DC (on Sunday only, because I am graduating on Saturday [Hooray!!] ), because that is in driving distance for me. I think it would be nice if we could have a strong BP contingent there and use it as an informal meetup, learning session and BS detector, if necessary.

What do you think @Joshua Dorkin and @Brandon Turner ??

Does anyone know anything about this conference or have attended in the past that can give any insight on what kind of event this will be? I am only familiar with a few of the presenters on the schedule so I don't know what kind of event this is going to be.

Thanks!! I hope to see some of you guys/gals there!

::Disclaimer:: [I am in no way affiliated with this event or any of its' organizers and post this only for informational purposes to the rest of the community]

Hello, just wondering if you went and what you thought about it. I wanted to go to the one in Chicago but couldn't but might do it next year if it is worth while. I don't mind it if speakers have a product as long as there is still actionable good info and they don't push it.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.