Study course (confused

20 Replies

I want to learn the ins and outs of REI want to buy a home study course but stuck in which to buy ,anyone heard of Cody Sperber his course cost $297 has all the ins n out of REI also Chris Goff who sells wholesaling strategies only for $197 his ins n outs of wholesaling,fix n flips n eft cost $799 which u think is best?

Tony, why not save you money and start reading here?

No book has all the ins and outs!!! None!

Get a state approved text work book for real estate agents and study that, should be less than $50!

RE is full of guru crap making claims of learn the secrets, get the ins and outs, most are rip offs, the very best are overpriced full of hype and ideas that are hard to replicate in reality.

Read here, ask questions, there isn't anything you can ask about residential investing or flipping or rehabs that a few here can't answer here, just need to find those in the forums that know what they are talking about......beware of the ones who add fluff, are puffing and claim that it's easy. Just hate to see folks go down that guru path thinking they are getting an "education". :) 

Medium logoscopiccroppedblue2Bill Gulley, General Real Estate Academy | https://generalrealestateacademy.com

@Tony Rosa Welcome to BP! If you're willing to put the time in, you can find most of the information right here on BP. Start with FREE - BEGINNERS GUIDE TO INVESTING

and check out PODCASTS , then post your questions. BP has investors in every niche of the real estate market and then some, plus if you become a paid member you can post deals on marketplace, and have more colleagues, etc. Good luck! 

Medium house plansKaren Margrave, Parlay Investments | [email protected] | http://www.parlayinvestments.com | CA Contractor # 680782

That's great you are at least willing to put a little money into your RE education! Like @Bill Gulley states, save some $ and disappointment by listening to BP podcasts, read books and learn for free from all the free resources that are out there. There are many podcasts that are specific to the type of REI you seek. As you learn, you will find out you don't know what you don't know, and there are other strategies available to you as well. Turn off the tv, fill your phone or player with info instead of beats and learn, learn, learn!

so don't bother buying the product everything found here

I would say what you learn here can cover a lot of what you may need.  It will also provide you with the info you could use to decide if you want to look at a guru for more or deeper information on a particular topic.

@Tony Rosa  I would take my time and do my research here, then if you still have questions ask in the forums. There are some brilliant people who have a ton of experience right here on BP and it is all free. If you get all your answers and are still unsure you can try to connect with some local people and attend a local meeting, you may make some connections and find someone willing to help you further. 

Bottom line save your money to buy a house instead of buying info or courses.

thanks guys for the info , another question how do I go about going to the locals in my area n attend meetings where do I start searching ?

@Tony Rosa Welcome.

Are you near ACREpgh.org or Digonline.org both great to attend meetings at!

@Mike not sure have to look it up .. Thanks for info

@Mike Hurney  - Oxford, PA (where @Tony Rosa indicates is his location) would be closer to DIG than to ACRE (ACRE is Pittsburgh area, DIG is Philadelphia area).  But the Lancaster Bible College hosts a meet-up that is probably closer to Oxford than either of the other two.

Disclosure: Read both books

@Tony Rosa Most "Guru" courses are a waste of time and money, while you might learn a few things they are always a stepping stone to the next more expensive course they want to sell you.

The BP forums is a great place to start, ask some questions to the answers you can't find, also if you want to purchase something to learn in more detail for a fraction of the price you can buy @Brandon Turner  's book:

http://get.biggerpockets.com/nomoneydown/

I learned quite a bit about other areas of investing with this book and I would like to say I know more then the average investor myself.

If you want to learn about flipping you can check out:

http://get.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook/

But overall the great thing about the site is that you can learn most of what is in the books for free right here on the forums, as others have said the podcasts are well worth your time too start at episode #1 and work your way to 101 and you will learn a ton of different ways to invest.

Welcome to BP! But my advice is to invest that money into marketing your business once you get rolling.

Medium 3Ian Hoover, Deacon Hoover Real Estate Advisors | [email protected] | 724‑492‑8312 | PA Agent # RM423721

@Tony Rosa,

To Make the @ work do the following:

Hold down the shift key and type the following: @?

Look below this Window, and you will see a list of list of names of people who have posted in this thread.

Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email that you responded to them.

If you are a Colleague with anyone that has not posted in this thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, and type the @ and the first 4 letters of the first or last name.

Look below this Window, and click on your Colleague's name.

They will be notified via an email about your post in this thread.

Raymond

@Tony Rosa When first starting out, it's best to get your personal finances in order before you start investing. Regarding investing, it's better to start out with smaller deals and move on to larger deals. Experience will teach you a lot and give you a feel for what works and what does not work for you. Best of luck! 

Tony Rosa instead use the money to take RE investors to lunch in your area. Good luck!

I have purchased many courses over the years before finding BP. The courses sit on the shelf for the most part and are not used much. I do use some of the forms, but I have since found similar forms from other sources such as the local library, BP, local RE club, etc.
As Brandon mentions in his book on investing, start reading all you can at the library and on BP. The podcasts are a huge benefit as well.
Hold off on the courses as tempting as the seller may seem. Remember they practice their speeches and make their web copy enticing so that they can sell material. It is part/all of their income.

@Tony Rosa I followed the advice from one of the forums to read The Complete Guide To Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings by Steve Burgess. 

I just finished it and have found it extremely helpful. I bought a used copy off ebay, and noticed that the previous owner highlighted extensively throughout the book, but it appeared that he skipped the Case Study chapters in the middle of the book. IMO, these are the most important chapters. 

The author walks you through his financial analysis of a few deals in pretty close detail. It took me a couple of days to get through it, and to work the numbers for myself. After that I practiced on a few actual listings from redfin.

I feel like I've learned a lot just from those few pages, and I encourage you to take a look. I'm also a newbie, but I think having the quantitative tools to analyze deals is SUPER important, and at this point, probably more important than what any RE guru can espouse. 

@Mark Brogan  Thank you!  @Tony Rosa as Mark mentioned, if you take the time to listen to the podcasts, read the Biggerpockets Blogs, ask questions, etc. you can learn as much here as in any homestudy course. 

Biggerpockets is filled with EXPERIENCED investors, builders, bankers, and every other conceivable link to real estate that you can ever imagine. You will get a variety of viewpoints, and almost real time advice. You can reach out to anyone on BP, and I've never yet heard of anyone being rebuffed. 

Good luck. Have fun on the site, etc. If you were to set yourself a schedule and routine for "studying" on BP, there's no telling where it will take you! 

Medium house plansKaren Margrave, Parlay Investments | [email protected] | http://www.parlayinvestments.com | CA Contractor # 680782

@Tony Rosa 

Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good luck

Paul